cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T6 EOS 1300 D Beginner - Need Help troubleshooting

mdutoit
Apprentice

Hi All,

I am just getting into photography after having taken some classes 10+ years ago. I just purchased a Canon Rebel T6 EOS 1300 D and I am having some issues. When I go to capture a picture, in any mode, I get a 'Busy' error pop up and the picture does not take. I've combed through the user manual and can't find anywhere where this is addressed.

Has anyone experienced this issue and know how to resolve?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mdutoit wrote:

Hi All,

I am just getting into photography after having taken some classes 10+ years ago. I just purchased a Canon Rebel T6 EOS 1300 D and I am having some issues. When I go to capture a picture, in any mode, I get a 'Busy' error pop up and the picture does not take. I've combed through the user manual and can't find anywhere where this is addressed.

Has anyone experienced this issue and know how to resolve?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

1). What is the brand, size, and type of memory card that you are using?  Do not use microSD cards with adapters, just full size cards.

2). Did you perform a low level format on the memory card before you tried to use it?  New cards should always be scrubbed clean before first use.

3). What shooting mode are you using?  If you are just starting out, use the Green [A] to familiarize yourself with the lenses.  Use the P shooting mode to familiarize yourself with the camera’s features.

The “buSY” message usually means the camera is writing to the card, or at least attempting to.  Some of the Noise Reduction settings can cause the camera to take a moment or two to finish writing to the memory card.  Shooting in “continuous drive” mode can fill the buffer, causing the camera to take a timeout to empty its’ buffer before it resumes shooting.

I suspect your issue is most likely with they size and type of card.  I recommend using only major name brand cards, purchased from certified dealers.  I use Sandisk Extreme 32 GB SD cards in my T5, which is similar to your T6.  Using a 64 GB card seems to slow it down, so I stick to 32 GB max.  Again, only use full size memory cards, not the microSD cads with adapters.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB memory card and I did low level format and still no luck 😞

There are probably a dozen things that can cause the camera to display the BUSY signal.  They are all listed in your manual.

What I would do is reset the camera to factory default.  Under the Tools tab there is a clear all settings.  Do that.  Then put the camera in the green square or P mode and go outside on a nice sunny day and try again.

You may want to try some unlikely things such as fully charging the battery.  A new, different, SD card.  Turn the camera off and back on again.  Make sure the lens is fully seated and mounted correctly. It is highly unlikely that the camera is faulty and more likely you set something wrong.

I have changed my thoughts about formatting SD cards. It doesn't seem to matter if you use the camera or a computer at least on a Windows machine. I don't know about a Mac as they are weird.  Basically a standard format just deletes the file allocation table.  All Low Level format does differently is, it fills all the space on the SD card with zeros. Probably not useful on a brand new SD card.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I took the camera outside today, and it allows me to take pictures in the 'green square' mode but when I take it inside I get the busy signal again. Rather confusing.

@mdutoit wrote:

I took the camera outside today, and it allows me to take pictures in the 'green square' mode but when I take it inside I get the busy signal again. Rather confusing.

It is most likely that you have the Long Exposure Noise Reduction option turned on.  Try turning that off.  As much as I like  Canon cameras options, I think this option is one of the more useless ones.  It will bring your camera to its knee for minutes at a time while offering questionable noise reduction.

Capture.JPG

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@mdutoit wrote:

That sounds like you are in a dark room, at least the camera thinks it is dark.  When you go inside, does the flash begin strobing, which gives the camera additional light for focusing in the dark?

The camera will flash “buSY” while the strobe recharges.  Until the strobe recharges, the camera can take a “buSY” nap.  If this is what is happening, then you should also see a little lightning bolt icon flashing in the viewfinder, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I took the camera outside today, and it allows me to take pictures in the 'green square'..."

That was just part of the solution.  Did you do the reset, too?  If you didn't, you must do that first.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements