cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel SL3 not taking pictures

bocatovictor
Apprentice

Hey guys, I'm a beginner and still studying how to use my camera and because of it can't figure out what I have done wrong.

Since I recharged the battery, the camera just doesn't take any pictures anymore, it just do everything, but when I press the button, instead of taking a picture It just show some red lines where it was focusing and both keeping the button pressed or releasing it just don't take a picture anymore.

I haven't found a tutorial about this hapening so, I decided to try to find help here since I still studying and barely know stuff.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Set the camera to "P" Mode on the mode dial and reset the camera back to factory default. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

amfoto1
Authority

If you're "seeing red lines" (little red "boxes"), it sounds as if the camera is trying to focus and preventing the shutter from release until focus is achieved... and for some reason it's not able to achieve focus. Perhaps the lens is set to manual focus? Or perhaps it isn't fully latched onto the camera? Or???

What lens are you using? Do you have any additional lenses you could try?

Another possibility, maybe you are just trying to focus too close... closer than the lens is able. That would also prevent focus from being achieved, which in turn might prevent the shutter from being released and an image from being made.

Alternatively, are you sure you're actually pressing the shutter release button? I don't have an SL3, but have various other Canon DSLRs and they all have a button that when pressed displays the current autofocus setup... as red lines for selected "groups" of AF points and small red box or boxes for selected AF points. 

Demetrius' suggestion to use "P" or program mode and/or reset the camera to factory defaults. might work.

Even easier might be to just set the large top dial to the "Green A" mode. That's fully "Auto". Basically it's a "point n shoot" mode that ignores anything and everything you have set and let's the camera make all the decisions. So long as you are not too close to your subject, it should be able to achieve focus on something, allow the shutter to release and make an image.

The "green box A" mode is super automated, sort of defeats the whole purpose of getting a camera you can exercise some control over. However, it can be handy for quick checks like this, since it basically makes things so automated that it's almost impossible to NOT take a photo! 😁 Maybe it won't be an image that's focused where you wanted or that you're particularly proud of... but it can prove whether or not the camera (and lens) are working.

Finally, you do have a memory card in the camera, don't you? There may be a feature that prevents taking a shot when there is none installed.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Is this via the viewfinder or the LCD screen?

Did the flash pop-up?

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Just a few things to add to the list of easy things to check.

Are you using a full sized SD card or a micro SD card with an adapter? What model and brand of card? Did you format the card in the camera before using it. Are you using a genuine Canon battery? Make sure the SD card door and battery cover are fully latched.

jfj17
Apprentice

It's unlikely that the camera is not functioning correctly. If the camera is set to Auto Focus but the subject is too close for the lens to focus on the camera will not shoot. Or if you're aiming at a blank subject like a wall then the camera can't find any vertical or horizontal lines to focus on and again won't function. Try adding distance between the camera and subject or switch the lens to manual and see if it now functions. 

Announcements