cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RP stops working after a few shots. Was told to update firmware. Where can I get it?

Lyn4825
Contributor

In the past year, my camera goes dark after a few pictures.  The only way I've been able to get it going again, was to remove the battery and reinsert it.  Will work for a few pictures then goes dark again and I have to do the sequence of removing the battery again. I know it's not the battery, as I've replaced it with a freshly charged one.

26 REPLIES 26

Yes, I'm using Canon lenses.  I will try what you suggested.  Thank you.

I put the Sony in my old 70D, and the access lamp flickered the whole time.  I took some shots, and the camera never turned off, but the light flickered continuously.  I put it back in the RP and formatted it in the camera, and so far, it seems to be working ok, and lamp is not constantly on.  I took about 10 shots, and the camera didn't shut off.  I will take it out and see if that was the issue.  I also took the lens and card off and powered the cam in "M" mode, and the camera did not shut down.  I do believe the Sony card was the culprit, but after formatting it in the camera, seems to be working fine.  I will go out to the Viera wetlands this weekend when it gets cooler and see if the gators are out basking in the sun.  Thanks for your help!

BrianDavies
Enthusiast

I have had my RP for over 2 years. The only times I have had your issue were with a third-party lens (the EF version of the Samyang 85mm 1.4 lens as I could not get hold of an RF version when they were available). It has only happened randomly about 3 times and it oddly seemed to happen when pointing the lens upwards. That could just be a coincidence. Do you have more than one lens and if so, have you tried switching lenses? Do you have a Viltrox lens adapter, as many people have had issues with those. If you are using EF lenses on an adapter, check the adapter is tightly mounted on the camera body and the lens is properly mounted on the adapter. There should be no play in either connection.
One tip: try not to turn the camera off or open the battery compartment when the camera is still writing to the card. So if the red light is flickering, wait until it stops. If there is an error and the light keeps flashing forever, obviously you will have no choice but to turn the camera off and open the battery door.

Hi Brian...I've never had issues with my other lenses.  I do have a Canon 50mm EF with a Canon adapter and a wide angle RF Sigma.

The flickering was happening continuously even when it's not writing.  When I changed cards, the flickering stopped and the camera did not shut down.  I did insert that Sony card into my 70D and the light flickered the whole time, was taking pictures, but the camera did not shut down.

I did take Rick's  (Shadowsports) advice and formatted the Sony card in the RP, and that seemed to do the trick.  I will take the RP out this weekend and see what happens.  Thanks for your response.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

She's confirmed she's using Canon glass.  The RP was manufactured right at the time when UHS-II was becoming mainstream.  It's spec'ed for UHS-I or II cards.  I'm not a big fan of the Sony Cards myself, but have heard from others they work.

If the camera doesn't shutdown with everything removed, its likely the card or the lens.  She's already tried different batteries.  She can also test with another card (formatted in camera), The LiveView simulation should rule out the body.  Once she knows that, I'd suspect the card, then the lens (that order).  I'm sure we'll get feedback from her.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

….  The RP was manufactured right at the time when UHS-II was becoming mainstream.  It's spec'ed for UHS-I or II cards.  I'm not a big fan of the Sony Cards myself, but have heard from others they work. ….

I’ve read about many camera issues associated with Sony memory cards.  The camera specs say Rebel ####D bodies can use SDXC memory cards, but they don’t.  This might be another case of specs not matching up with reality.

I think it has been clearly established that the memory card is likely the issue.

607140FF-B694-4F0D-9F05-E81FEA1C01A0.jpeg

When another card is used the problem seems to go away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@waddizzle,

I'm in agreement with you.  Gut feeling is the camera is going to run without the card installed.  Right now Sony and Lexar cards seem to be high on users "don't work well" with their camera's list.  The sony cards seem to be more popular with Sony and Nikon users.  Lexar is a toss up.  Fuji, Lumix, and a few Canon users.  

Most canon users I hear from seem to use SanDisk cards the most.  I did as well in my point and shoot, DSLR days.  I still like them the most, but they were a bit prohibitive cost wise when I moved to MILC.  I think I got 4 cards 2 UHS-II and 2 CFexpress B with a Control Ring for just under a grand.  I could barely get 2 SanDisk cards for that last year. Of course new standards come at a higher cost, so I tried ProGrade and AngelBird.  Has worked out thus far. 

We've certainly seen this before.  I'm sure she will be immensely relieved if her "Tough Stuff" is the culprit.  😃   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have found Angelbird cards to work very well in my RP and R7 cameras. I get far more images in a burst (before filling the buffer) than the official specifications. The buffer clears very quickly too when I do hit it on the R7. The RP can shoot continuously until the card is full. I also have some SanDisk cards and they have worked flawlessly too.

I'll check out the Angelbird cards.  I used the sandisk card in the RP to see if the light stopped flickering, and it did, so, I am "relieved" that it's the card, but I will find out soon enough.  Thanks again.

@Lyn4825 wrote:

I'll check out the Angelbird cards.  I used the sandisk card in the RP to see if the light stopped flickering, and it did, so, I am "relieved" that it's the card, but I will find out soon enough.  Thanks again.

You do not need UHS-II memory cards.  They are overkill for your EOS RP.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements