cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon RP stops working after a few shots. Was told to update firmware. Where can I get it?

Lyn4825
Contributor

In the past year, my camera goes dark after a few pictures.  The only way I've been able to get it going again, was to remove the battery and reinsert it.  Will work for a few pictures then goes dark again and I have to do the sequence of removing the battery again. I know it's not the battery, as I've replaced it with a freshly charged one.

26 REPLIES 26

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If you're looking for the firmware, check your camera's support page.  This is a good page to bookmark.

Where it is depends on the country you're in; e.g. for the UK, it's here:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-rp.html?type=firm...

And for the USA:

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-rp

When installing firmware, be sure to follow the instructions carefully.  In particular do NOT put the .ZIP or .DMG file you downloaded on to the SD card.

Thank you.  I'm not sure where the cables are that came with the camera.  Can I just use a standard  mini usb, or do I need to use HDMI?

You don't necessarily need a cable -- you can just insert your SD card into your computer, if it has a slot, or a card reader, to copy the file to it.

But if you are going to use a cable, it won't be HDMI, because that's for video, not data.  You would want a USB cable, and the camera end will need to be USB C.  The other end will be whatever your computer takes, probably either type A or C.  I don't know what you mean by "standard mini usb", but you're probably referring to Micro USB B, which is pretty obsolete these days.  Actual Mini USB B is even more so.

BTW what shadowsports said is also very relevant.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@lyn425,

I'd want to be more confident in a cameras stability and operation before updating its FW.  There is a small amount of risk when upgrading.  We don't normally recommend upgrading with the hopes of fixing a problem, like yours (camera goes dark) after a few shots.

Are you using a Canon brand battery?

Are you using Canon branded lenses and or adapters?

Have you tested with another type of storage media, etc?

Have you performed a full reset and are still experiencing the issue?

Upgrading is up to you, but I'd want to be sure there wasn't another fault before hoping a FW update resolves what appears to be an issue with your device which does not appear to be widely discussed, mentioned elsewhere or here.

Again, the choice is yours.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Just did a reset.  I have Canon and off brand batteries.  I just replaced the battery with a canon one, and it was able to take about 8 pictures before it went out again.  The whole camera basically shuts down.  When I turn the camera on, there is a fast flickering red light above the trash button.  When I turn it off, it will glow steady for a second or two then shut off.  I've noticed the flickering light the last two years.  What does that light mean?  The manual has always been in my travel camera bag, but now I can't find it.  I know I can probably download it from the website.

I have used other media storage.  Perhaps this started happening when I used a High Speed card, see below,

Sony TOUGH-M series SDXC UHS-II Card 64GB, V60, CL10, U3, Max R277MB/S, W150MB/S (SF-M64T/T1)

which required a media reader that could handle the faster upload speed.  Could it be something as simple as that?  When I used another card, that light turned on only when I took the shot.

I thing you are correct to suspect the Sony UHS-II memory card.  Replace it with a UHS-I card.  The UHS-II card is overkill for your camera..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you!

Yes. I meant usbc.   Thanks.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Hi,

The red LED near the trash button is called an Access Lamp.  It will illuminate at power on / off and when images are being written to or read from the memory card.

The sony card is compatible with your camera. It should be formatted in your camera before use.  Are you using Canon lenses? 

Next steps, please reset any saved Custom settings (C1~C3)  this is in the wrench menu 6 under custom shooting modes, clear all settings.  Note this is separate from the main camera settings. 

After clearing the settings, power off the camera.  Remove the card and lens.  Put the camera in "M" and power on.  Put it into Live View.  Let it run.  Does it run without shutting down? 

This should give you confirmation if the problem is with the body or something else (lens or card)

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements