cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6m2 and Pixel 7 Pro - won't wifi connect

sho17
Contributor

I'm at my wits end here. Got a Pixel 7 Pro a few weeks ago and it will not connect to my R6m2 to transfer photos except on the home wifi, which is useless as I'm heading off to Japan in a few days. 

Used to connect no bother to my Huawei Pro 30 when I was out and about, but now it seems to think a password is required. When I used the Connect to EOS Utility to locate a password (which for some reason keeps changing? useless) and use that for the Wifi connection on my phone I get a connection but without internet so the pairing fails. 

I've deleted Canon Connect from my phone, deleted the camera from Connect, reset communication settings on the R6m2...tried everything with a fresh start....and nothing is working. I can get a Bluetooth connection, but not a Wifi to import images. 

What else can I do? Other than throw both blooming devices in the bin and get something else?! 

26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend that you download the pdf manual and read the section on wireless features starting on page 713. Here is a link to the manual:

https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/c012.pdf 

yup. literally what i have already worked through. was looking for advice on when following the instructions isn't yielding the required result. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please take Bob's advice and review the wireless features in the manual.  It might help identify the issue.

Resetting the cameras network settings and deleting a saved camera profile in the CC App are the 2 things I recommend. Follow this with the re-pairing operation and this usually solves it.  I have an R5 C and Pixel 6, but our devices are both running Android 13 and using similar hardware.  You have tensorG2 CPU, mine is G1 but the wireless and BT chipsets are the same. 

**Check the Apps permissions in Settings > Apps > Permissions.

**Also check for a saved wireless profile under saved wireless profiles.  Settings > Network and Internet > Internet > Saved Networks

If you see a listing for the R62, "forget" it and try again.

I typically connect with BT, but just did a WiFi connection.  To do this, I opened the camera's Wifi settings and enabled WiFi.  I then opened the Camera Connect App and selected my R5 C.  It displays with the last connection method which was BT.  I told the App to use another method.  It then waits for camera.  

Now return to the camera menu.  On my camera the option is called Wifi bluetooth connection. I then select smartphone and wifi.  The camera displays its SSID name and password.  I then open WiFi on my phone and look for the SSID name the camera is broadcasting.  Select it and enter the password.

Now your phone is connected to the camera.  Return to the CC App and tap the box that says the camera is ready and the App can connect.  Press next and the App connects.  Then browse the card(s) for images.  Tap to select one or all, then press the import button.  If you have the Auto Transfer toggle enabled, they will start importing immediately without selecting them.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm running into the same problem with the Pixel 8 Pro and the R6M2.

This is not happening for me.
The camera displays its SSID name and password. 

I can see the Camera widi ssid on the phone. But I can't connect to it since I don't get the password on the camera. All I see is on the camera is a message

Connecting via Wi-Fi... Please wait.

On the phone in the app, I have a message 

Switching to a faster wifi connection. Connecting to camera.

Catch 22 without the password

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I recommend first establishing a Bluetooth connection.  Once that connection is made, ask the Canon Connect app to download photos.  I would expect that you will be prompted to use Wi-Fi for faster file transfers.

Selecting [YES] should cause the wireless connection to automatically switch from Bluetooth to using the camera as a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Many people complain about the Wi-Fi connection to the camera hotspot drops out.  I suspect the most likely cause of this switch is because the phone is looking for an Internet connection.  Your phone service provider typically includes an internet connection.

So, the camera automatically switches to the Wi-Fi connection with Internet.  You should be able to control and disable automatic network switching and automatic network connections in your mobile device settings.

I typically leave automatic connections disabled in my mobile devices.  If my device is switching networks, then I want to know about it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Except it won't connect to the wifi on prompting. as I said it tells me it cannot connect. 

Kind of feel like no-one is reading what I'm saying and is instead giving their boilerplate responses even though I've tried all of that as I outlined above. On my last phone no password was required and it connected instantly with no issue. Now a password is required that changes all the time and even when it says its connected it's not connected. 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@sho17,

The camera's wifi does not default to a "open system" unsecured wireless network.  The camera's broadcast has a password.  Just like the WiFi on any secured network.  If it didn't employ this, anyone within range of your cameras wifi when enabled would be able to connect to it.  Canon doesn't do this.  Sorry if our answers appear boiler plate.  

If you reset the network settings on the camera and review them (without trying to connect anything) you'll see the the SSID name will be a variation of the Camera model (example) R6MKII_0CFEB4-CanonOA underscore then the last few digits of its network adapters MAC address, then a password that secures the network.  

I'll do a quick tutorial later today with screenshots.  🙂  I assure you the wireless uses a password unless you set it as open system.

shadowsports_0-1693858458489.png

When a successful Wi-Fi connection is made the wireless icon on your mobile device will display with a wireless icon and a !...  which indicates your mobile device is associated/connected to a wireless broadcast that doesn't have internet access.  I know it can be frustrating, but you are super close.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ I've deleted Canon Connect from my phone, deleted the camera from Connect, reset communication settings on the R6m2...tried everything with a fresh start....and nothing is working. I can get a Bluetooth connection, but not a Wifi to import image.

I am sorry if our responses sound like boiler plates.  I guess it was not clear to me which device was requesting a password, the camera or the smart device.

My suggestion was to FIRST establish a Bluetooth connection.  Bluetooth automates the Wi-Fi connection process.  No password is required because any passwords or security data is automatically exchanged across the Bluetooth connection.

After reading the above excerpt in your original post, it sounded like you cleared out previous wireless settings in the camera.  That’s a good thing.

I had thought that you were skipping the initial step of establishing a Bluetooth connection and going straight to establishing a Wi-Fi connection.

If you are being prompted for a password, then something is amiss.  The camera establishes its own Wi-Fi hotspot.  Your smart device should ask if you wish to connect to a new network.  I suggest that you check your smart device settings.  Does it prompt you to connect to new networks?

“. I recommend first establishing a Bluetooth connection.  Once that connection is made, ask the Canon Connect app to download photos.  I would expect that you will be prompted to use Wi-Fi for faster file transfers.

Selecting [YES] should cause the wireless connection to automatically switch from Bluetooth to using the camera as a Wi-Fi hotspot.  “

—————————————————-

If you are being prompted for a password, which should only be known by you, then you are not following the above instructions.

The order in which you do things is the key to initiating the automatic Wi-Fi connection process.  Do not attempt to configure a Wi-Fi connection directly from the menus,  This method prompts you for a password.

Once Bluetooth is established, asking the Canon Connect app to download photos from the Bluetooth connected camera is what initiates the automatic Wi-Fi connection and configuration process.  

The camera should turn on its own Wi-Fi hotspot.  Your phone should ask if yo would like to connect to this new network.  Because a secure Bluetooth connection has already been established, any password and security data is exchanged across Bluetooth to configure the connection to the camera’s hotspot.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements