cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R6 Mk II freezing frequently

Blackscarlet
Contributor

I am a club and event photographer who works 6 nights a week. I have a canon R6 and I kept having freezing issues, where the camara becomes none responsive and i have to take the battery out before it works again. This occurs every night. Depending on the club, up to 8 times an event within a 1hr time frame. I sent the camera to be repaired under warranty and while it was gone I bought the 6d mk ii. Withing the first 25 mins of using it , it began to freeze up as well. unlike the r6 which had an error code , this just has a dark grey screen and yet again i have to remove battery to reset. I use all canon original gear. Is anyone else having same problem?

If this persists I will have to return the camera for a refund.

Update. i also got my 6d back and withing first day it started freezing again but this time not showing an error code.

36 REPLIES 36

frostyl24
Apprentice

Could it be the lens? I have an R6 Mark ii and it does this when I try to use my 70-200 with the adaptor. No other lens. 

Kaninrail
Apprentice

Are you using a battery grip, especially a 3rd-party one? I've got an Mcoplus battery grip for my R6 mkII and I've found that it feels like it doesn't "grip" the batteries against the contacts properly, so it'll occasionally freeze up if the camera gets jostled at all, or if I just move it in a way it doesn't like 😞

If I put some sports tape carefully over the batteries to hold them into the tray, the freezing dramatically lowers/disappears. It's the worst workaround ever, but it seems to work. I'm on the fence of whether I should replace the grip with another 3rd-party one and hope that it's just a one-off manufacturing defect, or cough up the $300+ for a first-party grip.

I only use official rf lens and batteries. no grip. the only 3rd party item i have is godox v1 flash. I have a new update, so i sent the camera back and bought 28-70 f2. ( i already had the original r6 which had the same problem). Last week i sent back my original r6 due to this issue getting worse. Swapped it for a brand new r6 mkII and guess what? On the first night which was last night screen went blank and camera froze. it is defo an issue with it trying to process the strobe/flash lights coming from the club as it changing so fast i don't think the sensor or chip can process it fast enough.

beeger87
Apprentice

I have had this happen with both the 70-200 and 150-600 mm sigma lenses.  Seems to go away when I remove and replace my SanDisk micro adapter memory card. Usually happens when first starting up camera.  I have had it happen with full size SanDisk cards as well. 

@beeger87 wrote:

I have had this happen with both the 70-200 and 150-600 mm sigma lenses.  Seems to go away when I remove and replace my SanDisk micro adapter memory card. Usually happens when first starting up camera.  I have had it happen with full size SanDisk cards as well. 

The micro-SD cards are more than unreliable.  They are terrible, and not recommended for use in Canon DSLR and MILC camera bodies.

The R6 and R6 Mark II need UHS-II memory cards.  Be sure to perform a low level format on the memory card using the camera.  None of the previous members have provided clear and concise answers to questions and inquiries regarding their memory cards.

No one has indicated whether or not they are shooting stills or video, either.

You have not indicated which camera you are using.  Third party lenses and mount adapters are known sources of issues causing cameras to seem to hang.  When you point this out, the usual response is something about the same thing happens with their Canon RF lenses, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have the Canon R6 Mark ii, will try the class II cards... I usually take photos at 40 fps electronic shutter and thought that maybe it is an error occurring occasionally in the buffer transfer to the cards not completely before my camera is turned off (although I have received a screen message that it will turn off after writing has completed) Sigma ef adapter and lenses, works great most of the time.  Freezing has not happened to me during a shoot always at the beginning or after camera has been turned off for an extended period.

Just tried a UHS II v90 card, low level formatted it, and no lagging at all at startup, no blinking red light, faster autofocusing and only tried it for a few minutes but no freezing.  Hopefully issue solved...  Thanks for the help!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements