cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 with 1.5.1

starforgedape
Apprentice

Bought an R5 at B&H this year, came with 1.5 by default. Multiple freeze/crash on the maiden voyage.

Got a replacement still crashed. Updated it to 1.5.1 as advised, and still got a freeze so I decided to return it regrettably.

I shoot wildlife and birds so this is unacceptable.

I understand many people don't experience the freeze or crash-I wonder if all the chips are the same for all samples? Especially since there is a supply chain issue. I really think this is a hardware issue. 

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Two of you reporting similar behavior:

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update - Canon Community

Hope its just a coincidence.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

I had some crashes with a much earlier firmware. 1.2 or something like that. After that I haven't had any issues. R5 has been solid for me ever since. I never noticed the problems people talked about with 1.5 either. All that said the R5 could still use some tweaking for my tastes especially with the RF 70-200mm f/2.8. I thought that lens would be better on the R5.

Announcements