cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R3 not turning on

waltzink
Contributor

So I've also had this problem with my R5 and now my R3. Turn on the camera and nothing. If I remove and reinsert the battery? It turns on. When I got the R3 I updated the firmware and initially that seemed to fix it but I was shooting an event last night and it started this again. Turn on. Pull battery. Reinsert battery. I have tested this with and without the EF-R adapter and with several lenses (RF 24-105, EF 70-200, Sigma 24-70) and every situation I have the same issue.

I've seen that this was an issue and wondered if anyone has figured out what causes this? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you have GPS enabled when the camera is “OFF”, then disable it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

GPS is disabled. Did a factory reset on it and will reinstall the firmware.

Installing firmware on a camera that is exhibiting electronic malfunctions such as locking up is highly inadvisable.  What if it decides to lock up in the middle of the installation?  I’d try a new memory card before I’d try a firmware update, which rarely fixes electronic malfunctions, anyway.  How could it?

Has the GPS always been disabled?  If you did a factory reset, then give it some time to see if the issue resurfaces.

GPS has never been turned on. 

I have the same issue. Only with the EF-RF adapter.
Sometimes it happens when i turn on the power switch - most of the time it happens in powersafe - trying to reactive the camera.

Firmware 1.5.1 seems to fix similar issues - but it didn't fix this for me.

Canon EOS R3, EF-RF Adapter, EOS 16-35mm and 100-400mm. The 16-35mm is the worst in this case...

Is there any solution?

jpo
Apprentice

Same issue for me on R3. First time it happened as I arrived somewhere, I thought the battery was dead, and said, 'I guess I won't be taking any photos today'. I've since learned the remove/reinsert battery trick. I'm on firmware 1.6.0. I don't know if it's relevant, but I use GPS mode 2. 

Why don’t you want to try disabling GPS?  It is a known issue.  Try disabling it, as well as Wi-Fi and GPS, too.  If that does not correct your issues, then please start a new thread.

Announcements