cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Eos R Red Tint AWD

USCRx
Contributor

Purchased a Excellent Used Eos R a few weeks ago. Love it, except it has a definite red tint to its AWD photos (and in the view finder, if I'm honest). The following photos show it:

#1 - Taken with my Google Pixel 2 phone. Color is accurate in this one.

#2 - Taken w/ 40mm lens, f/8, 1/500 sec, ISO - 100 AWD Ambience Priority

#3 - Same settings as #2, but AWD White Priority

Here's my question: Is this a specific camera problem (not a usual problem with the Eos R)? Or is there a way that I can adjust my settings to get a more accurate tint in my photos?

Porch.jpgD25A9874.jpgD25A9872.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

I guess that's a possibility (mis-labeled Ra body). I definitely now think the camera must've been modified for infrared.

A call to Canon with the serial number should clear that up.

@USCRx wrote:

I guess that's a possibility (mis-labeled Ra body). I definitely now think the camera must've been modified for infrared.

That could be ... and I thought about that.  There are services that will convert a camera for IR operation.

A way to test... grab a TV remote control (or any IR remote) where your eyes can't see the light when you operate the remote (make sure it's an IR remote... some remote use radio).  Point the camera at it while using the remote to determine if you *can* see the remote light up when looking at it through the camera.  If you can, then it's probably been modified for IR operation (normally the built-in IR filter on a standard camera prevents them from seeing IR ... or if they do see it, it's *very* weak.  If that filter has been removed then light from the remote should be easily visible.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks to everyone for your comments!

Announcements