cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel...

newsense52
Rising Star

What model of Rebel has the fastest autofocus set in auto mode, indoor photography.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@newsense52 wrote:

Do you mean to say the bigger the lens diameter is slower than the smaller lens when we set to autofocus?

What I am trying to view is that when you focus to moving object, how soon it can stabilize  the focus?

No. Different lenses perform differently at different tasks.  

The excellent 85 f/1.2 L gives beautiful images with shallow depth of field and creamy out of focus highlights, which is what it was designed for.  The trade offs are a very high price, a heavy weight (if you mind weight) and very slow autofocus. 

The 85 f/1.4 focuses faster, weighs very little and costs a fraction of the price. The trade offs are slightly less beautiful image quality, slightly less thin depth of field and a bit more purple fringing. 

Ernie points out how in photography everything tends to be a trade off.  A lens specifically designed for one thing may have to give up some other ability or quality.   The optical designs of these lenses are really complex. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

@newsense52 wrote:

Not all expensive lens have great performance.

For indoor stage shooting with moving persons with less lighting.

Fastest auto focus should go the same as fastest stabilizer without zooming the object.

Suggest a lens that best describe of what I am looking for.

Not all expensive lenses have great performance in all ways that can be measured.  But, most all expensive lenses will outperform inexpensive lenses in most ways that can be measured.

If you're referring to shooting video under low light conditions, then a Rebel camera body will definitely be a factor in the quality of the video that you capture, if not THE limiting factor. 

Rebel camera bodies are not known for their low light performance for shooting stills.  Because of that fact, Rebels are not known for excelling at capturing video under low light conditions, either. 

Rebel bodies are not kinown for their AF performance, either.  The single most limiting factor in AF performance in Rebel camera bodies are the number and type of AF points.  Rebel bodies are good for new DSLR users.  They are not for the demanding camera enthusiast, although the T6s comes close.

Rebels are not known for the performance of their built-in flash units, either.  The built-in flash will not be very useful shooting subjects much more than 10 feet [ about 3 meters] away.

As far as a lens suggestion to capture images on a poorly lit stage, I'd suggest that you look for a lens that has a wide aperture, first and foremost.  If you want to avoid 'zooming the object", then I would next suggest that you look for a focal length of less than 35mm. 

Finally, if you want a wide aperture, a short focal length, AND inexpensive, then you're going to have to sacrifice having Image Stabilization, as well as, Auto Focus.  Canon does not make such a lens.  A good example of such a lens would be a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 lens.  Rokinon also makes a lens for APS-C bodies only, the 16mm T2.2 lens.  Either lens can be focused to what is known as the "hyperfocal distance", which will cause everything beyond a few feet to be in focus, eliminating the need to adjust focus, at all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@newsense52 wrote:

What model of Rebel has the fastest autofocus set in auto mode, indoor photography.

Your trying to hard to frame the answer.  There is no straight answer to your question, because that's not how it works. 

The camera bodies do not "autofocus."  The interchangeable EOS lenses are what autofocuses.  Camera bodies can have different different low light sensitivities [ISO Range], which can help define low light shooting performance.  Typically, one would use a flash indoors, too.

What is the fastest lens  ( model or name ) of  EOS model you know but not too expensive.

Considering use flash for indoor, auto ISO, no zooming after pointing to object, faster than the wink of eye.

@newsense52 wrote:

What is the fastest lens  ( model or name ) of  EOS model you know but not too expensive.

Considering use flash for indoor, auto ISO, no zooming after pointing to object, faster than the wink of eye.

I have no answer for you until you can tell me this.  What are you trying to photograph?

If you do not want to pay top dollar, you are not going to get top performance.  Period.  Less costly lenses will sacrifice performance in one way or another.  Different lenses are better suited for some tasks than others. 

Again, what are you trying to photograph?

@newsense52 wrote:

Fastest auto focus should go the same as fastest stabilizer without zooming the object.

Suggest a lens that best describe of what I am looking for.

Not all expensive lenses have great performance in all ways that can be measured.  But, most all expensive lenses will outperform inexpensive lenses in most ways that can be measured.

If you're referring to shooting video under low light conditions, then a Rebel camera body will definitely be a factor in the quality of the video that you capture, if not THE limiting factor. 

Rebel camera bodies are not known for their low light performance for shooting stills.  Because of that fact, Rebels are not known for excelling at capturing video under low light conditions, either. 

Rebel bodies are not kinown for their AF performance, either.  The single most limiting factor in AF performance in Rebel camera bodies are the number and type of AF points.  Rebel bodies are good for new DSLR users.  They are not for the demanding camera enthusiast, although the T6s comes close.

Rebels are not known for the performance of their built-in flash units, either.  The built-in flash will not be very useful shooting subjects much more than 10 feet [ about 3 meters] away.

As far as a lens suggestion to capture images on a poorly lit stage, I'd suggest that you look for a lens that has a wide aperture, first and foremost.  If you want to avoid 'zooming the object", then I would next suggest that you look for a focal length of less than 35mm. 

Finally, if you want a wide aperture, a short focal length, AND inexpensive, then you're going to have to sacrifice having Image Stabilization, as well as, Auto Focus.  Canon does not make such a lens.  A good example of such a lens would be a Rokinon 14mm T3.1 lens.  Rokinon also makes a lens for APS-C bodies only, the 16mm T2.2 lens.  Either lens can be focused to what is known as the "hyperfocal distance", which will cause everything beyond a few feet to be in focus, eliminating the need to adjust focus, at all.

"What is the fastest lens..."

OK this one, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  It is a little north of a hundred bucks.  There are few lenses faster than this 50mil at any price.  For example the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens, which is only marginaly faster, is $1400 bucks.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think the OP means fastest focusing.

I would pick a USM motor zoom lens with wide paerture in the range that fits your needs.

The 17-55 f/2.8 EF-S comes to mind. Short on the long end, but since you are talking about flash you don't have that much distance range anyway. Couple that with a 70-200 f/4L zoom and you have a nice combo.

But as sevaral of us have said above, depending on what your goal is a Rebel may not be the best body.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I think the OP means fastest focusing."

Perhaps but the 50mill will focus as fast or faster in low light than the 17-55 f2.8 or at least you will need a real good stop watch to tell the difference.  And the lowest cost part there is no question.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think the OP means fastest focusing."

Perhaps but the 50mill will focus as fast or faster in low light than the 17-55 f2.8 or at least you will need a real good stop watch to tell the difference.  And the lowest cost part there is no question.

The OP seems to like your 85mm suggestion.  That's not going to work with the built-in flash.  The lens will cast shadows.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements