cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T5 settings

Raelene1
Contributor
I use my camera to shoot a lot of my sons football games and started out using the sports mode and I did get some good shots but when it came to the important one my pictures are blurry and out of focus. I have researched and tried other settings and still nothing. Last night's game I took over 1,200 pictures of which only 300 were actually worth keeping. Can someone please help me out with what settings I need to use to get nicer action shots.
20 REPLIES 20

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Raelene1 wrote:
I use my camera to shoot a lot of my sons football games and started out using the sports mode and I did get some good shots but when it came to the important one my pictures are blurry and out of focus. I have researched and tried other settings and still nothing. Last night's game I took over 1,200 pictures of which only 300 were actually worth keeping. Can someone please help me out with what settings I need to use to get nicer action shots.

I take it that "last night's game" means you were shooting under the lights.  That is a challenge for even the most expensive DSLRs that the professionals use.  What lens were you using?  What settings was the camera coming up with?

I suggest that you learn how to use the Creative Modes in the camera.  Leave the Basic modes behind, which includes "Sports" mode,, which can be effective on bright sunny days, but not at night under the lights.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Raelene1
Contributor
I was using the 75-300 mm lens and had it on the TV mode. Can you suggest which creative mode and the settings or needs to be on. When I researched it I got so many different answers as far as the ISO, shutter speed..etc. it just overwhelmed me.

@Raelene1 wrote:
I was using the 75-300 mm lens and had it on the TV mode. Can you suggest which creative mode and the settings or needs to be on. When I researched it I got so many different answers as far as the ISO, shutter speed..etc. it just overwhelmed me.

Stop making duplicate posts.  It is one of the best ways to cause people to ignore your questions.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Discussion/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T5-settings/m-p/283889#M12854 

Still waiting for you to tell us what your exposure settings were.

Raelene1
Contributor
I'm sorry about the duplicate post I'm new to this community. As far as exposure settings I don't have anything set. This is why I'm asking for advice on what I should set my camera on.

@Raelene1 wrote:
I'm sorry about the duplicate post I'm new to this community. As far as exposure settings I don't have anything set. This is why I'm asking for advice on what I should set my camera on.

What settings were used in the photos that you say came out blurry.  We need to understand your current results in order to make suggestions to improve your photos.

Raelene1
Contributor
I had it on TV . ISO was on auto. Shutter speed was 1/500. Continuous shooting and Al Servo.

@Raelene1 wrote:
I had it on TV . ISO was on auto. Shutter speed was 1/500. Continuous shooting and Al Servo.

Shooting mode is good to know, THANKS!  But, we are looking for the Exposure Triangle: shutter speed, aperture, and ISO

2EF00398-6FAD-4DA3-A50D-FDFF790BB625.jpeg

Raelene1
Contributor
This is all the info I know and I'm sorry if I'm starting to irritate you but I'm new to the creative modes so I don't know much. Canon zoom lens EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III
I had it on shutter priority mode 1/500 with the ISO set on auto. I'm not sure what shooting mode I should be in or what settings need to be.

I wouldn't consider 1/500 fast enough for sports/action. I recommend at least 1/1000. 1/500 is barely fast enough to avoid blur from camera shake when hand holding. (basic rule of thumb is shutter speed should be 1/focal length to avoid shake blur. The effective focal length for your Rebel at 300mm zoom is 480mm (300mm * 1.6 crop factor).

Continuous Shooting with AI Servo is the setting you want.

To shoot in AI Servo you need to select a subject, half press the shutter to acquire focus, wait about 1/2 second and then fully press shutter. The AI Servo mode is doing math in the camera. It acquires the subject, measures its speed and then predicts where the subject will be (closer or farther from the camera) when actual exposure takes place.

If the subject isn't moving around in the viewfinder (left/right/up/down) then use the central focus point.

If the subject is moving then you want auto focus point selection so the camera can follow the subject.

Annotation 2019-10-15 090524.jpg

Annotation 2019-10-15 090701.jpg

You aren't going to get 100% success when shooting action/sports, even with top of the line 1D X, with a fast AF system, 12 frames per second and a fast focusing lens like the big whites to see on the NFL sidelines.

Your Rebel is 3 frames per second, a slower AF system and a slower focusing lens.

Depending on the lighting and subject speed your results may be the best you can achieve.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements