cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel 2000 35mm lens/camera shutter issue

jjfang
Apprentice
I recently just picked up a canon EOS rebel 2000 35mm film camera that cane with a 28-80mm EF lens. When I try to take a photo quite often the shutter will not open but rather it seems to get stuck. The the empty camera battery icon will also blink. This doesn’t happen at all without the lens attached, so I was wondering if it was a lens or camera issue and what i could do about it. The problem seems to happen at Random. Any response is appreciated.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Since it on,y happens with the lens attached, I would suspect a problem with the lens. Try another lens to confirm it. The camera and lens are not worth repairing as they are so cheap now. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Since it on,y happens with the lens attached, I would suspect a problem with the lens. Try another lens to confirm it. The camera and lens are not worth repairing as they are so cheap now. 

I am not familiar with that specific camera, but I had suspected that the lack of a battery would hinder the camera's metering system.  I might work if the camera is in full manual mode, which would require the use of a handheld light meter, or at least another digital camera, to read the exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I am not familiar with that specific camera, but I had suspected that the lack of a battery would hinder the camera's metering system.  I might work if the camera is in full manual mode, which would require the use of a handheld light meter, or at least another digital camera, to read the exposure.

His battery is not dead. The camera would not work at all if the battery was dead or undercharged.

The blinking battery icon is a form of error message on these EOS film cameras. I have seen this happen with my film cameras when the lens aperture sticks partially closed and does not fully open between shots. 

77B122DC-37A5-4ABF-AD3F-F3F3941369B7.jpeg

526A7AFA-5E59-4049-B0AF-483085FF33A2.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"This doesn’t happen at all without the lens attached, so I was wondering if it was a lens or camera issue and what i could do about it."

The battery is likely bad. It doesn't have enough power to run the camera and the lens.  So, it seems to work with just the camera and no lens.  I have seen these go for $50 bucks so almost any money spent on it is not wise.  Even a new battery and/or charger. But than again it's your choice.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements