cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R6 Mk2 noise as if something is loose on the inside of the camera body

artvega
Contributor

I just got my new EOS R6 Mk2 camera body today, bought it directly from the Canon online store, got it from DHL, undamaged box, packaging intact. But then as I take out the camera body I noticed a sound as if there is something loose inside the camera. I kept checking and there is nothing wrong on the outside, but every time I shake it even just a little bit I can hear that very obvious noise. 

I called the support line and I was told that "it's normal", "there is nothing wrong with it, it will work just fine", "we know exactly what you're talking about, we have one at the office that makes that noise and it works fine". I told the guy that I didn't feel comfortable getting a new camera that sounds like it is broken, even if it works fine. 

Has any of you had this situation? if the camera operates OK, but has this sound as if it was a damaged, refurbished gear, that I paid about full price (not cheap), why should I have to settle for something that is not entirely to my satisfaction? shouldn't I be able to return it and get another one? 

What are your thoughts? suggestions on how to handle this? 

Thank you in advance,

Art

7 REPLIES 7

Without actually hearing it, I can only guess that it is the in-body image stabilization system (IBIS). Our R5 and R6 have a slight rattle or more of a light knock when shaken, actually just when shifted like from being picked up. They don't do it all the time, just when first picked up. Not sure why not all the time, but that's my experience with them. The R6 mark II may be different.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

That's what a friend of mine told me. And I can hear the rattle all the time, just as I pick it up and with any shaking movement. If that is the IBIS indeed, I would assume that is not something that should be loose, would it? otherwise, it would be like that on every single model. 

Thanks,

Art

oh well, I just found another post in another forum where someone reported the same thing, but when you turn on the camera it doesn't make the noise anymore. I tried it and indeed. So it seems like that is the IBIS thing, a stabilizer that is loose when the camera is off. 

@artvega wrote:

That's what a friend of mine told me. And I can hear the rattle all the time, just as I pick it up and with any shaking movement. If that is the IBIS indeed, I would assume that is not something that should be loose, would it? otherwise, it would be like that on every single model. 

Thanks,

Art

Yes, Art, it should be floating around in there, at least that's the way I understand how it works. It's pretty interesting.

IBIS.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

fabiolanza
Apprentice

Hi, thanks for posting your case. I just received my R6 Mark II and I had the same impression, that something was loose inside. I contacted the store that sold me the camera and they informed me that this noise is due to the IBIS, and that it should go away with the camera on. I turned the camera on, and indeed the noise went away. Therefore, I would say that it's normal and expected. I am keeping mine like it is.

JoeySnaps
Enthusiast

Yes it'll be the IBIS mechanism when not energised. There's a similar phenomenon with IS lenses - there's a lens group inside that rattles when the IS is not energised. On many lenses you can see the IS group wobbling around when you look into the front of the lens. Once the IS is active, these components, and the IBIS component in your camera body, are held in place by the IS motors, which then move them tiny amounts to effect the stabilisation. It's an amazing system and very effective, but rather disconcerting when you first encounter it powered down and it rattles!

R6mkII, various lenses, speedlites. Also legacy Canons going back to T90 and even A1.

MIchael5
Apprentice

I bought the same camera and right away was getting error messages so I returned to Canon Service and they replace the main circuit board. When I got the camera back I noticed that same noise and am certain it wasn't there before. It's back at the service center and they are saying its the IBIS moving and that will stop once the camera is turned on. The only thing I am certain of is that noise wasn't there before. I handled the camera frequently when it was turned off and not once did I hear that sound.

Announcements