cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R card slot issue

Gidinski
Apprentice

Hi.  I have an unusual issue I have not been able to find any information on.  A while back I had an old SD card fall apart and get stuck in my card slot.  I was able to remove it but found a little piece of plastic had dislodged in the slot and Sd cards would not fully engage.  Using a flashlight I was able to get the little piece out, but afterwards I discovered an interesting problem.  I have a couple of Sony Tough sdhc cards which when I put into the camera, everything works fine.  But if I put in a standard SD card, the red light goes on for a period of time and then it says card cannot be read and that I should format it.  But if I put the same card in another camera or my computer, the card is fine.  Has anyone run into this issue before or can explain what has happened to make one type of card work and another not.  Thank you in advance.  

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I have never had this happen personally, but logic suggest that you consider the pinning of the different SD cards that you have.  Is the the Sony card configured with different terminals from the other cards you are trying.  My suspicion would be that in poking in there with what was likely a very small, relatively sharp object, that you have damaged a contact, but the Sony has some characteristic that bypasses that.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you Trevor.  Yes, I would say you are correct.  My fear is that I did exactly that when dislodging the plastic. The sdhc cards have a second row of contact.  This makes me nervous even though it does seem to work fine.  I need my camera for a bit of time in the next few weeks but will probably have to send it in to get it repaired mostly from the fear it may not work in the future.  Fortunately for now, I prefer the faster, much more sturdy, cards I'm using and hopefully I won't have any immediate issues.  Thank you for your quick and thoughtful response.   

You are most welcome.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

lverette
Apprentice

I’m having this exact same problem except I did nit break anything off in the sd slot. All my cards (about 6) work fine on my old dslr eos5D, but on my mirrorless R5, the cards are displaying error same as yours with the read light on extended period of time. I have had to do recovery on 2 cards (many of the files got damaged) and a third I almost threw away thinking it was bad. After tested 3 addrional cards, I am getting the error randomly on my R5 (sometimes it works, sometimes not).  All 6 cards read, and format work fine in my 5D dslr. This suggests a problem with the R5 card reader. 

did you send in for repair and if so what was the fix?  Is this becoming a known issue I wonder on the R5. 

Announcements