cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M50 causing big in game fps drop

ellab
Apprentice

I had a Canon EOS M50 (gen 1) sitting in a closet and I figured I’d upgrade my basic webcam with it. I installed the canon webcam utility software, plugged the camera into my pc via micro usb to usb a connection and it picked it up right away. The problem is it is causing massive fps drops whenever I play games (ex: I go from 600 to 300 fps in counter strike 2 on mirage). The bigger problem is that with the fps drops it’s has gotten pretty stuttery.

I have a 5800x3d and a 7900xtx for pc parts btw.

Any help provided would be much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forums!  

I am not following your description of your issue.  I suspect that the vast majority of forum members would not know what you are talking about.  You seem to be describing a combination of hardware and software that most members may not be familiar with.  You lost me at “600 fps to 300 fps.”

Help someone to help you.  Please provide a more detailed description of how the camera and the Webcam Utility are being used.  Tells what apps are being used with the camera.  Most importantly, I would like to know what “600 fps to 300 fps” means in this context.

Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

BTW, most of the members in the forum understand “fps” to mean frames per second.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Basically, he's saying he has a 5800 series Ryzen 7 processor and a 7900 Radeon based GPU and the frame rates his video card is able to deliver during game play has dropped from 600 fps to 300 since installing the webcam utility.

@ellab,

You will need to contact canon support and / or your video card manufacturer to determine if there are any known compatibility issues between it and the webcam utility.  

Canon software and applications: Canon recommends Intel based hardware.  I use nVidia based GPUs. EVGA brand exclusively.  Never had any issues.  This doesn't mean you can't run canon software on an AMD based system or with a Radeon GPU, but the results you get might vary.  Sounds like your system works great when the webcam utility isn't installed and that the webcam utility works fine too, but there might be something unknown affecting video card performance?  

You are the first person I've heard from who is mentioned something like this.  You are not the first person to experience unexpected behavior using Canon software with non-intel-based hardware.  Two things I would do.  Services.msc, I would stop the webcam utility service and set to disable.  Now restart my system and retest the FPS results during gameplay.  If that didn't help, I would uninstall the webcam utility and test again.  If you want to be more thorough, you can try and earlier or later version of drivers than the ones you're using now.  Something as simple as this might solve it.

Next, you'll need to contact Canon support and / or the video card manufacturer to report the performance issue you experienced.  

Since Canon recommends intel based hardware, I have no idea if a solution could or would be offered. 

I would expect even less from AMD.  No manufacturer can account for every software hardware situation or scenario that may be encountered.  Won't hurt to report it or ask though. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That 600 fps value is way too suspect.  No GPU could do that (unless the frame involved is absolutely tiny).   I suspect the OP meant to say a drop from 60 fps to 30 fps.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
click here to view the gallery
Announcements