cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS M still worth it?

poala00
Apprentice

Hi, I stopped with photography since 2015 ever since my camera broke down but I recently wanted to get back into it again just to mainly snap photos for my Instagram and to document core memories.

I found an EOS M with complete set (flash, kit lens, 22mm F2 lens) for only $280 and the condition is superb (almost good as new)! However, I'm just wondering if it's still worth it to pick up for that price considering it's been 10 years since its release. Please let me know your thoughts!

5 REPLIES 5

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

There are some things I would miss from my M50, but the M seems to have good fundamentals, including pretty good resolution and 1080p video. For $280 you probably can't go wrong - I recently paid $180 just for the 22mm f/2 lens!

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What camera did you own previously?  Do you own any lenses?  Do you have a budget for this purchase?  What is your intended use? 

There are 2 ways to look at it.  Low price, good condition.  Having a camera is better than no camera, versus buying 10 yr old technology.

The EOS-M platform is dying and is being systematically replaced by RF-S.  If you are looking for an inexpensive camera to capture memories, casual use it could work.  If however, you are looking to return to photography, I might select a different format.  If you own other lenses this might influence the recommendations, we might make.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

RF-S might be a technical replacement for EF-M, but at this point it's not a practical one, as the former is really in a different price range than EF-M cameras altogether. If you really want to steer someone away from EF-M, the only responsible advice at this point is to suggest they look at a brand other than Canon.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It will work as well as it ever did. All DSLRs take good photos. Any camera you have is better than any camera you wished you had.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

krahe
Rising Star
Rising Star

Here is actually a recent review of the EOS M!
https://expertphotography.com/canon-eos-m-review/

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II
Announcements