cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Connect & Canon DPP

PCHC
Apprentice

Good Morning! Have made the leap from a Canon 80D to an R7 & having many issues, not least on a second camera body after the first one froze after 2 shots. Regretting my decision already! Set up Canon Connect & the option to update firmware (from an ipad paired via wi fi) wasn't on the list. Does anyone know why this might be please? Had to go down the SD card route instead. The other issue so far is with Canon DPP, which I've always used for editing. I had an SD card from the first R7 that had to go back with some photos on it. I used the slot on my laptop, which flagged up CRAW images not being supported & had to add an extension to open them. Then opened up DPP which also didn't support the images & said to download the newest version of DPP. Did that & now every thumbnail ( CRAW & old 80D RAW & JPEG images) are blurred & pixellated. They are clear when you click & open them though. Changing the size of the thumbnail makes no difference. Is this yet another drawback to the R7 or something else entirely? Would be very grateful for any input from fellow users who might have encountered one or both of these issues please.

8 REPLIES 8

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I have an EOS 80D and an EOS R5. I do not have that problem with the latest DPP on my iMac. I always use a card reader and write protect the card to access images on my iMac. I use an old iPad with Canon Camera connect and wifi as a remote shutter trigger and the live view images on the iPad are not blurred. I have not tried DPP on my iPad. I have used EOS Utility on my iMac to update the camera firmware over a USB cable.

Maybe there is another variable other than the DPP version. I have recently been using some of the improvements in the newer DPP to go back and edit some CR2 files from my EOS 80D and Rebel T1i/500D.

PCHC
Apprentice

Thank you very much for getting back~much appreciated. The DPP is on my windows laptop & never had an issue with any new updates until now. You would assume that the thousands of photos on it were all blurred if you looked at the thumbnails. I just wondered about the SD card as it was the first CRAW images to be downloaded ( don't have a card reader given laptop capability). The absence of the firmware update option on canon connect is a mystery. I haven't tried downloading any images from the new camera yet as still setting it up but will try that via USB cable first. But I wouldn't expect the DPP thumbnails to change given it's affected every image. Really disappointed with the R7 so far...causing me more problems than it's worth!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not off to a good start, are you?  Let's see if we can get you back on track. I don't think the issues are related to your camera choice.  The R7 is a nice crop body camera. 

Some general observations.  Some may or may not apply here.  We hear from people all the time who swap their cards between camera's without formatting, and then wonder why their camera freezes or fails to capture images. Other undesirable behaviors result from 3rd party accessories.  These range from batteries, AC adapters, Lens adapters, stacking things, "magic" Zoom lenses, and / or counterfeit memory storage products.   

You post is not clear.  Did you purchase an R7 that froze after 2 shots and replace it, or did you simply try moving cards between different cameras thinking its Canon so they are probably compatible?  Can you clarify that?  Not trying to blast you, so let's take a step back and get you on the right track.

Memory Cards.  Cards should not be swapped between body's unless they are formatted before use.  This means not taking pictures on one camera and then wondering why you can't move the card or view the files on another camera.  The 80D is rated UHS-I, the R7 UHS-II.  While you can use UHS-I cards in the R7, sticking with higher performing UHS-II cards might be a better option.  The brand and model of your cards matters.  Where you buy too.  There are counterfeits out there,  You will also want to use Full size SD cards, not micro with adapters.  Cards should be formatted in camera before use.         

Firmware Upgrades.  These should be performed using a card reader.  I know you can use the EOS Utility, but don't.  It is convenient sure.  Doing so however, introduces another point of failure.  I see this with motherboards, printers, routers, etc.  Copy the .FIR file to the root of a freshly formatted card and insert that into the camera to upgrade the firmware.    

cRAW.  Gimmick.  Compression, why?  Shoot in RAW or RAW + JPG.  If you need more space, buy a larger card or better yet, multiple cards for safety. 

Software issues.  Not sure if you are PC or MAC.(version / build??)  Uninstall what you have now.  Windows - Programs and Features, MAC from the Applications Folder.  Important, restart your system.  Now install a fresh copy of DPP,  latest available.  Like camera firmware, updates are cumulative, so if you install the latest, you get all the features and support included in previous versions or updates. 

Canon Connect - This is available from the App Store or Google Play.  I will be traveling for the next 12 hrs 😐, but my colleagues will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Don't regret your R7 purchase.  Its a great camera.  I'm sure it will you over. 😉 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi...Thank you very much for your response~greatly appreciated. I hope you travel safely & thank you for picking up whilst clearly busy! I thought with old age, came wisdom but not when it comes to the R7 it seems.. 😆 It was definitely a camera issue with the first model~someone who has that camera checked it over & said it was an issue with the focussing ( & not the new lens ). These things happen sometimes with a new one...I accept that. I'm hoping the replacement will be an improvement! I haven't swopped any cards between cameras...all the cards for the R7 are brand new & bought from a reputable source. I'd rather not take any chance with expensive equipment by using anything dodgy. Am using Sandisk extreme pro & cards have been properly formatted.

I upgraded the firmware eventually using an SD card ( I don't have a card reader given my windows laptop has the appropriate slots). I was just baffled as to why Canon connect, which I downloaded to my ipad, didn't have the update firmware available in the list of things to do, given it should have been compatible with the R7,  according to the canon website. Could see from websites where it should be listed but it was missing. It was one of the reasons I downloaded canon connect in the first place.

If CRAW is going to cause issues, I will go back to RAW although as a pensioner, on a limited budget ( yes some of us are!), buying cards is costly. The Canon DPP I downloaded was the newest version available, 4.18.10 & have re-started the windows laptop, to no avail. All the thumbnails are blurred. Under the help section, it does give an option to 'activate HEVC codec' so not sure if that might be the issue? As I will still be using my 80D ( permanently at this rate, given how complex the R7 is, for those of us who are grappling with technology!), I don't want to preclude downloading photos from there too. At the moment I am very much regretting my purchase sadly as it seems very problematic to even set up. After operations on both hands, I bought it for the lighter weight & for the bird focussing but may give it to the other half at this rate! Perhaps you will be able to convince me otherwise.. 😉 Many thanks...

I am also a pensioner on a limited budget. I use CRAW to save money on storage space. I do not use CRAW sometimes for high ISO photos because CRAW makes the noise look less like film grain.

There is no problem with using CRAW for most purposes. I use DPRAW with CRAW for birds to get the extra resolution from the DPP DPRAW processing. It is more likely that I will find DPRAW makes it worth spending more money on storage than that I will find the difference in quality between RAW and CRAW makes it worth spending more money on storage. DPRAW tool in DPP is especially good for bird feathers. The only disadvantage to CRAW that I can see is the difference in the appearance of noise.

I have not used Windows since I retired from work and I am no longer required to use it. I have a Kingston card read that cost about US $10 and plugs into a USB port.

I suspect that your problem is Windows and file transfer from camera to Windows.

I suggest, format memory card in camera, make photos, write protect memory card, put card in card reader, transfer photos to computer, run DPP, take card out of card reader, undo write protect, format in camera, make more photos.

It seems to me that Canon EOS Utility works better with USB cable than with wifi.

https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2024Jun17_birds_and_cats/2024jun06_bunting_IMG_0229c.html

Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a cedar branch (Juniperus virginiana) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 6, 2024Painted Bunting (Passerina ciris) on a cedar branch (Juniperus virginiana) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on June 6, 2024

Camera Model Name Canon EOS R5
Lens Model EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +2x III
Focal Length 800.0 mm
Exposure Time 1/400
ISO 1250
F Number 13.0
Camera Temperature 35 C
Measured EV 11.75
Measured EV 2 22
Focus Distance Upper 12.51 m
Focus Distance Lower 10.56 m
edits from dr4 file saved by DPP<td.
CanonVRD:Image WorkColorSpace sRGB
CanonVRD:Image RawBrightnessAdj 0
CanonVRD:Image WhiteBalanceAdj Daylight
CanonVRD:Image WBAdjColorTemp 5200
CanonVRD:Image PictureStyle Shot Settings
CanonVRD:Image ContrastAdj 0
CanonVRD:Image ColorToneAdj 0
CanonVRD:Image ColorSaturationAdj 0.3
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskStrength 2
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskFineness 1.8
CanonVRD:Image UnsharpMaskThreshold 1
CanonVRD:Image ShadowAdj -1
CanonVRD:Image HighlightAdj 0
CanonVRD:Image LuminanceNoiseReduction 1
CanonVRD:Image ChrominanceNoiseReduction 1
CanonVRD:Image DLOSetting 60
CanonVRD:Image DLOOn Yes
CanonVRD:Image GammaBlackPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaWhitePoint +1.000
CanonVRD:Image GammaMidPoint +0.000
CanonVRD:Image CropX 2293
CanonVRD:Image CropY 878
CanonVRD:Image CropWidth 3600
CanonVRD:Image CropHeight 2400
CanonVRD:Image CropRotation 0
CanonVRD:Image CropAngle 0
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalWidth 8192
CanonVRD:Image CropOriginalHeight 5464

Thank you for your response~appreciate it. Great photo of the bunting! I will go & buy a card reader ( even though I don't need one!) & see if it makes a difference to the thumbnails being in focus. Don't see why it would but can give it a go, thank you. Using an SD card straight into the laptop is not my usual method of download~I'd use Eos Utility & USB usually. Just wasn't an option on this occasion as the USB cable hadn't arrived. At least the new version of DPP does open the actual image in focus, which is a blessing! But it has altered all DPP thumbnails going back to 2018, both RAW & JPEGS, not just the new CRAW ones.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“ The DPP is on my windows laptop & never had an issue with any new updates until now. “

I don’t understand what you’re trying to do. A major piece of the puzzle is missing. 

If you’re running DPP on your Windows laptop, then how does Canon Connect come into picture?  

What device is running Canon Connect and what purpose does it serve?  

If you’re running DPP on a Windows laptop, then shouldn’t you be using the EOS Utility on that same laptop?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi..thank you for replying. The Canon connect is newly instlled on an ipad & wouldn't bring up the option to update firmware on the R7. All other options are available. Given it is supposed to be compatible, I wondered why the option was missing. I downloaded Canon connect for that purpose & to download photos onto it, when travelling rather than take a bulky laptop. Hence why it's on there & not the laptop.

The DPP is on a windows laptop. The thumbnails are all blurry after updating to the latest version. I wondered why this was. I use EOS utility on the laptop to download from my old 80D via a USB cable, when at home. I have only just managed to get hold of a cable for the R7 ( no stock anywhere!)  & not tried it as yet.   I hope this makes sense now... Many thanks...

Announcements