cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 77D videos look different

Tech1Tv
Contributor

Hey people,

I have a Canon 77D but when i record videos or take pictures of anything they always look different, they never look the same as what i actually see with my eyes. The videos look perfect in the live view finder but when the camera done recording they always darker or just look different, i did saw a video comparison and the person said Panasonic Lumix G7 record exactly what he saw with his eyes and Canon 77D don't. Why is that and is there another Canon camera that record exactly what you see with your eyes or they all the same, i make tech videos and it's annoying because all the videos look darker after i record them. What about Canon 90D and Canon EOS R?

I believe that's how the Canon 77D is, there's a video on YouTube that said the same thing. Look for Canon T7i Vs Panasonic G7 and it's the first video that show up. He's name is Aarons Practical Reviews

14 REPLIES 14

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The number one cause of the behavior your are describing is lighting.  Second to this lens and camera settings.

Obviously we know very little about the conditions or what you are shooting, but I'd start with lighting and camera settings first.

A new camera might not be what you actually need to resolve the problem.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I think it's the camera that's like that but still not sure, i saw a comparison on YouTube last year and the person said that's the way it is even when he shoot outside. He said the Panasonic G7 show exactly what he saw while Canon 77D doesn't, i already change the settings and only use manual, i also use auto mode and they all the same.

@Tech1Tv wrote:

I think it's the camera that's like that but still not sure, i saw a comparison on YouTube last year and the person said that's the way it is even when he shoot outside. He said the Panasonic G7 show exactly what he saw while Canon 77D doesn't, i already change the settings and only use manual, i also use auto mode and they all the same.

First and foremost, the LCD on the camera is not the best monitor to use for evaluating image quality.  I only use the LCD on my DSLR to look at the photos for gross errors, but also to view the Histograms.  Displayes on mirrorless cameras work a little differently compared to most DSLRs.  

My M3 mirrorless always shows me what the image sensor will capture, which is not always true for a DSLR.  DSLRs have the option to enable exposure simulation, so that you can see exactly what should get captured by the sensor.  I believe the default setting has exposure simulation disabled, which allows for the best focusing.

But, you are shooting video, not still photos.  I am typing on an iPhone, so I do not have access to an instruction manual.  Check to your manual to see if there is an Exposure Simulation setting for video.  I really would not expect there to be one, but you never know until you check.

Meanwhile, when I shoot video I will typically take a couple of photos of a White Balance card.   I am not typically doing a lot of camera movement.  Lighting does not change much, if at all.  You can also make a short video clip of a WB card or a color chart.

Just remember, the LCD on the camera was never intended for color grading or critical viewing of images and videos.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh wow i actually put the manual in trash this week, i will look online for the manual on Canon website because it's on there. I believe you right because it's the camera that's like that and better lighting will not help. The camera will always record different from what i see, if you look on YouTube and type Canon T7i Vs Panasonic G7 you'll see a video show up and it's the first video. He's name is Aarons Practical Reviews, he said Canon T7i doesn't record what people actually see. Do you know if the Canon 90D or Canon EOS R the same?

@Tech1Tv wrote:

Oh wow i actually put the manual in trash this week, i will look online for the manual on Canon website because it's on there. I believe you right because it's the camera that's like that and better lighting will not help. The camera will always record different from what i see, if you look on YouTube and type Canon T7i Vs Panasonic G7 you'll see a video show up and it's the second one. He's name is Aarons Practical Reviews, he said Canon T7i doesn't record what people actually see. Do you know if the Canon 90D or Canon EOS R the same?

I would not take all YouTube videos too seriously.  More times that not, the person in the video has a preference for certain gear, and their video is simply showing you why they think their choice of gear is best.  Most of the time, they have no clue to properly use competitive gear, anyway.

E2599168-CC0F-465C-A6D5-E5934C5601D3.jpeg

The above screenshot is from the full instruction manual for the 77D.  You can use automatic exposure in Basic or Creative modes.  If you do not know what all of that stuff is, then i suggest that you download a copy of the manual.

I look at the manual but it seems like that option is not for video, i only saw exposure simulation in photo mode but i can't select it. That option is not available for video, i just saw a video on YouTube for Canon 80D that can enable it but Canon 77D doesn't have it

@Tech1Tv wrote:

I look at the manual but it seems like that option is not for video, i only saw exposure simulation in photo mode but i can't select it. That option is not available for video, i just saw a video on YouTube for Canon 80D that can enable it but Canon 77D doesn't have it

Correct.  It is not available on the 77D.  That is what I was trying to show with the screenshot in my previous post.  Exp.Sim is not listed among the settings that impact how the image looks on the rear display.

There are subtle differences between the 80D, 77D, and the T7i in how their AF works.  I guess there may be subtle differences that do not show up in specs in how their metering works.

When I shoot video, I want specific shutter speeds and aperture settings.  This leaves just ISO to control the final exposure, so I set the camera to Auto ISO.  In Manual mode with ISO set to AUTO, the 80D allows you to dial in AEC, but I do not know if the 77D allows you to do so.  It may not.

I just call Canon customer service and the guy told me he doesn't know what i mean by the camera doesn't record what i see with my eyes, he told me even though i use manual i should leave the iso on auto. He told me to bring the iso to 1600 and that should fix it

@Tech1Tv wrote:

Something doesn’t add up.

If you are shooting in videos in Manual mode, there is no reason why your videos should be dark. 

If you have adjusted the brightness of the LCD, it should be able to replicate the brightness of the final video.

Mike Sowsun
Announcements