cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D mark ii front wheel not turning correctly

jcgoforth
Apprentice

On my Canon 6D mark ii body, the wheel near the shutter button (normally the shutter speed wheel) is becoming increasingly hard to turn. This camera has never been dropped, had any sort of liquid, or exposed to major dust of any sort. The wheel still functions when it is turned in that I can still adjust shutter speed, ISO, etc. There is nothing visible wrong with the wheel or any other part of the camera body. 

I have two questions:

1) Is this a problem that other people have run into?

2) Is there any remedy for this short of sending it into Canon for a $400+ repair?

The standard repair cost ($370 + shipping/tax) to fix something that seems to be either a manufacturing or design defect feels out of line. 

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum

Sorry to learn of your issue.

To answer your questions. I have never seen this issue before, and given the number of this model I have encountered, I would suggest it is not an inherent design issue.

Much depends on the age and amount of use of the camera and those are big variables.

Despite your care finger oils and dust can accumulate in these places so if you want to try a couple of possible fixes here are two.

1 use a blower to try to clear dry dust inthe wheel slot.

2 Use a thin piece of plastic to gently fit into the wheel slot an move it around. Do this very gently.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Also chiming in.  This is called the "Main Dial"

None of my body's have experienced a sticky or malfunctioning main dial.  Its a plastic component and is subject to wear depending on the amount and type of use.  Body oils and environmental factors (as Trevor) mentions could also be a contributing factor.  I'd have it repaired if it was me.  I still love my 6D2.  Granted mine is boxed and looking for a new home, but I have have a lot of great memories with it.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

AngieD
Apprentice

I tried just clicking the "Me too" button, but it won't allow me to do that, so just chiming in here to say that I have the same problem. Were you able to solve it without sending in for repair?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@AngieD,

Greetings.  You've been a forum member for 7 yrs and this is your first post.  Very sorry to hear of your issue.  This is not a common issue, but it can occur.  You can try the above recommendations.  If it doesn't help, Canon or midwestcamera dot com are your best repair alternatives.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I tried those with no effect. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

And yes, I've been a member for a long time. 

normadel
Authority
Authority

Not clear what is happening......you cannot turn the wheel, or it turns but nothing happens? If it's the latter, it's something I ran into with an EOS 50D I was given a few years ago. I was ready to scrap the camera but checked online first for the problem. I discovered that 50D had issues with the rubber tire slipping on the wheel. The fix for this is to carefully lift the tire up, like with a toothpick,  and use another toothpick to put little dabs of glue in a couple of places between it and the wheel. This saved my 50D from the scrap heap and it has worked perfectly since.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Toothpicks and glue are 2 things I would not use on a camera.  As careful as one might be, toothpicks can break and put glue where it's not desired.  Based on the description, it sounds like an internal failure.  Home repairs can be risky.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Well, I quite easily and successfully glued my rubber tire on my 50D Main Dial. The alternative was to replace the shutter button-Main Dial unit, which would've been a lot more delicate disassembly & reassembly job. It saved a beautiful camera, at no cost, which was going to be trashed otherwise. It was not that delicate a job. Don't be a fraidy-cat!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements