cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5d iii for $700 or Eos Rp

AutumnApple
Enthusiast

Hi,

Should i go with canon 5d Mark III, lightly used for $700 or add a bit more and get canon RP.

I am only taking photos of my kids and basically normal daily stuffs. Nothing fancy. I have couple prime L lenses. I have been wishing on canon 5diii since it came out. Now that i could have some spare moolah to get it for that deal but also torn with the RP since it's in similar price range. 

3 REPLIES 3

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@AutumnApple wrote:

Hi,

Should i go with canon 5d Mark III, lightly used for $700 or add a bit more and get canon RP.

I am only taking photos of my kids and basically normal daily stuffs. Nothing fancy. I have couple prime L lenses. I have been wishing on canon 5diii since it came out. Now that i could have some spare moolah to get it for that deal but also torn with the RP since it's in similar price range. 

A lot depends on your intentions as regards the camera as as system and your use.  The 5dIII  is still an excellent camera (I still use one myself), and will support the L lenses you say you have. It is built like a tank and is weather resistant - matching your L-series lenses in that respect.  Sometimes we get the gear we long for and it seems you have wanted that for some time - I know how that works!

If you expect to get into the R series over time, then the RP may be attractive, although you will have to invest in a EF-RF adapter: I have used the basic one with many of my EF lenses on the R5 and R6 with absolutely no issues. There is no doubt that the R series is where the future lies.  Also, it does have the fully articulated screen that is missing on the 5DIII and you may find that useful when getting low with the kids and for video.

You don't indicate if you will be shooting video - the RP should have the advantage here - being significantly newer, its specs and controls (including the articulating screen) are more friendly towards video.  If you get the RP new or refurbished at a comparible price, you are also getting a warranty, which is not to be sniffed at.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks, Trevor!
You’re right. I can see myself sticking on 5diii deals because it’s something I have been longing to have. I used one for very short period of time, really love it before parting with it due to circumstances so that has something to do with the wishing.
I dont shoot video but as you said, R series is where future lies, and with the autofocus everyone’s raving abt, i guess RP might be it for me

You should check the specs of the RP to make sure that it is all that you want. 

Here are links to a couple of fairly unbiased review sites:

Canon EOS RP review | Cameralabs 

Canon EOS RP review IN DEPTH! lower-cost full-frame - YouTube

Canon EOS RP Review: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Canon EOS RP User's Guide - YouTube

Canon EOS RP Tutorial – Introduction & User Guide - Bing video

I hope this helps.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements