cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D mark iii keeps stopping video recording and goes to black screen with message.

Cameralover
Apprentice

Hello, my canon 5D mark iii keeps ending video recordings at various timed intervals between 5-15 seconds. The screen goes black and displays a yellow exclamation mark in a hexagon, with the message "Press start/stop button to activate movie shooting" it will also go right back to this screen a few seconds after I've pressed the button it tells me to. It's never the same amount of time, it varys between 5-15 seconds.

I have already tried: 

-Checking to make sure my memory card wasn't full, as well as trying another memory card

-resetting the camera settings

-I generally use a Nikon lens with an adapter, but I have this issue with my canon brand kit lens as well

I'm uncertain what caused this, the only thing I've done different with the camera, was a I did press some buttons to see what they did (but after having re set the settings I don't see how that could be the problem.

And I recently downloaded the canon webcam extension to my computer, and used my camera as a webcam twice.48096295-D6AA-49B5-A99E-3BCB4204138E.jpeg

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What exact memory card are you using? Brand, speed, etc.

What resolution, framerate and codec are you using for the recording?

I'm perhaps thinking that the card cannot handle the sustained writes and after the buffer is full, it has no choice but to stop recording.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Here I'll attach photos of my memory card, as well as the settings for the video recording.

the thing is, that this is even happening when I'm not recording. I'll press the button and it will give me a screen allowing me to see what the lens is seeing for only a few seconds (again never the same interval of time) then it gives me that black screen with the message again. 
1B6175FD-C3A1-49D6-ACD9-0F436D105A35.jpeg657ED655-EEA8-4778-842F-365FED31E3AE.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

The use of a micro SD card with an adaptor is likely the problem. Try using a quality full size SD card.

I've been using this sd card with the camera for months and I haven't had this issue, and the issue persist even when I take the card out (the camera changes from the lens view to that black screen with the message after only a few seconds)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try another SD card, yours might be bad.

Or, if you'd prefer, please send the camera into our Factory Service Center to be evaluated. From there, they'll provide you with a detailed repair estimate. You will then have the option to move forward with the repair or reject it and have your camera sent back to you. You can set that process up now at: http://usa.canon.com/repair If you would like to speak with our technical support before sending the camera in, you can reach them Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET, Saturday: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET at: 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). Thank you for contacting us.

Announcements