cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark IV Video Glitches

FrankBoots
Contributor

I recently purchased a refurbished Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and shot a music video for a friend last weekend.  I shot in 4k 24fps, 1080 24fps, and 1080 60fps - shutter speeds at 50 and 120 respectively.

Upon dumping and reviewing my footage I noticed some glitches in many of the video files regardless of the resolution, frame rate, or memory cards (ScanDisk Extreme Pro 200mb/s V30).  The glitches can be displacement of a small part of the frame or a full discoloration.  They last either 1 or 2 frames.  

I tried a different card reader, another computer, and went back to check the playback on the camera display itself.  I noticed that the playback will stop on the camera at the same time the glitches appear when viewing the files in Premiere.  

Any insight as to what is causing this would be greatly appreciated.  Very frustrating.  I believe I have a 90 days return policy so I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong or just got a lemon.

Thank you!  

14 REPLIES 14

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

What kind of memory card are you using. The camera supports both CF and SD Cards. Avoid using a Micro SD Card in an adapter. Use FULL size cards ONLY.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Hey Demetrius, thanks for the response.  I am using full size SD cards, ScanDisk Extreme PRO 200/mbs SDXC V30.  I have a 128 and a 256.  I was under the impression that these would work well for 4k video and especially for 1080.  I do not have a CF card.  Are those better for my purposes?  Would an SDXC cause that type of issue?  Thanks!

Take a picture of the SD Card. The SD Card brand sounds counterfeit. There isn't a brand called "Scandisk". 128GB and 256GB are SDXC cards. SDHC cards are 32GB and 16GB cards for example. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 70-210mm F/4, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Dang!  I meant "SanDisk", my mistake.  Seems to be a brand I see around a lot.  "ScanDisk" definitely sounds like a knock off version!

IMG_5214.JPG

Have you tried a different SD Card as a test.

-Demetrius

I did, unfortunately it happened on files from both.  Happened at 4k, 1080, different frame rates.  Tried another card reader.  Just can't seem to find a common denominator.  

Have you tried plugging the camera into the computer instead.

-Demetrius

I just gave that a whirl and was hopeful after one of the video files was fixed, however after trying a few more the same glitches are present.  In the same places.  So weird. Was really hoping that may have been a work around for this project.  Ugh.  

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Do you see the glitches during playback in the camera?

I advise using the CF card slot for recording in those video modes.

5EB53CBA-C67C-4BB3-9709-165108FFA3A3.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements