cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D Mark 4–Face tracking question

clovislavigne
Contributor

Hi!!

What's up!! I just bought the Canon 5D Mark 4. I turn on all Face tracking. When I shoot for my models, the face tracking is not as good as I thought when the model is on the sides. 

When I use my friend's camera (same),  there is a square that locks the models' faces. Does anyone know how to set it up? 😞 Thanks.  I did my research for days but still could not figure it out. 

Best!!

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––
Canon 5D Mark IV, 50mm F/1.8 , 24-70mm 4L
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!!

What's up!! I just bought the Canon 5D Mark 4. I turn on all Face tracking. When I shoot for my models, the face tracking is not as good as I thought when the model is on the sides. 

When I use my friend's camera (same),  there is a square that locks the models' faces. Does anyone know how to set it up? 😞 Thanks.  I did my research for days but still could not figure it out. 

Best!!

Are you trying to shoot stills or capture video?  If you are shooting stills, are you using the viewfinder or Live View.  I think Face Tracking only available in Live View mode for stills.  When shooting video you are using the rear LCD for focusing and tracking.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi! Waddizzle:

Thanks for your help. Yeah..I only see my viewfinder like that but a Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 1.01.02 PM.pngsquare box around the faces.  Guess I gotta quit to find the square boxes 😞 

Thanks. 

Clovis L

John is correct.  The Face Tracking in the OVF only occurs when your AF point selection is set to "Zone AF", or "Large Zone AF" modes.  I mentioned Live View earlier, which is capable of placing a similar box around a face.  The Live View control menus only appear when the camera is switched to Live View mode.

9FD0DF04-24BE-4A02-819A-B428A0E94E14.jpeg

However, the 5D4 does not have Eye AF, which was invented a released a couple of years after the 5D4 was initially released.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I haven't played much with face tracking, but in watching demos of Canon's EOS C70, I'm pretty sure the 5D IV's implementation is a bit more basic.  With Canon's newest offerings, it seems like face tracking is more robust in that if your subject turns their head to the side (or even then faces away from the camera), focus is still maintained on the person's head itself.

For the 5D IV, there are also some other limitations noted on page 148 in the User Manual.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Hi!! Ricky:

Sry, I was in the gym. I took a lot of pictures with my model recently and figured out that the face is kinda out of focus but the garment in the center.  I never use my Canon 5D mark 4 before so.. When I use my friend's camera, her camera can track the faces with the color square while shooting (not Live, I barely use it). We are using the same camera, and she seems like doesn't want to tell me or being busy.  I will take look at the manual and I will let you know If I have more questions tonight or tomorrow.   

Clovis L

Canon 5D Mark IV. 50mm 1.8L, 24-70mm 4L. 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!!

Best!!

Are you trying to shoot stills or capture video?  If you are shooting stills, are you using the viewfinder or Live View.  I think Face Tracking only available in Live View mode for stills.  When shooting video you are using the rear LCD for focusing and tracking.

Hi!!! Waddizzle:

I'm shooting still. I don't use video very often. I use the viewfinder.  Yeah..It's interesting that I use my friend's same camera to shoot via the viewfinder and find out there is a tracking square constantly focus on the model's head. When I got my camera, I cannot do that. I texted her but she did not reply and may get busy..so... Thanks tho. 

Clovis L

Canon 5D mark 4, 50mm 1.8l, 24-70mm 4L. 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!!! Waddizzle:

I'm shooting still. I don't use video very often. I use the viewfinder.  Yeah..It's interesting that I use my friend's same camera to shoot via the viewfinder and find out there is a tracking square constantly focus on the model's head. When I got my camera, I cannot do that. I texted her but she did not reply and may get busy..so... Thanks tho. 

Clovis L

Canon 5D mark 4, 50mm 1.8l, 24-70mm 4L. 

Note the right end of the gray bar at the top of the page, where it says "AF4".  AF Menu #4.

BE1B523F-0379-4439-BFFF-9A269A5DA203.jpeg

But, the tracking display in the OVF will not place a box around a face, which moves with the person.

Hi!! Waddizzle:

I already did that before. Also, in the AF method, I selected face+tracking.  Is there any way to display the square? box around the model's face Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.18.26 PM.png

I did a lot of research, many photographers said the Spot AF is the best. Is that normal that when I shoot a whole body for a model, the face may be blurry unless I move the focus spot on her face? 

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!! Waddizzle:

I already did that before. Also, in the AF method, I selected face+tracking.  Is there any way to display the square? box around the model's face Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 12.18.26 PM.png

I did a lot of research, many photographers said the Spot AF is the best. Is that normal that when I shoot a whole body for a model, the face may be blurry unless I move the focus spot on her face? 

The EOS M50 is a mirrorless camera.  The EOS 5D Mark IV is a DSLR.  There is a major difference between the two types of cameras.  You should be able to get a similar type of display with a 5D Mark IV using Live View.

[EDIT] Are you sure that your friend is using a 5D4, and not a mirrorless camera?

Hi!! Waddizzle:

I know the difference. I just try to show the square box around the model in the viewfinder when I use my friend's camera to shoot in the studio (Canon 5D mark 4 like mine). I will probably ask her again if I can not find a way to display the square box.  Thanks. 

Clovis L

Clovis L
Columbus, Ohio
–––––––

@clovislavigne wrote:

Hi!! Waddizzle:

I know the difference. I just try to show the square box around the model in the viewfinder when I use my friend's camera to shoot in the studio (Canon 5D mark 4 like mine). I will probably ask her again if I can not find a way to display the square box.  Thanks. 

Clovis L

There is a very limited number of AF points displayed in the OVF of a DSLR compared to a EVF of a mirrorless camera.  These are all of the AF points that the 5D Mark IV can display in its' OVF.  

AADB0C67-E29D-4A57-8FF4-7BB895DF1179.jpeg

No box around the face, much a smaller box around the eye.

Announcements