cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 5D MKIII - autofocusing problem

dbamott
Apprentice

:-)It will only autofocuse in A+ and NOT in any position. I´ve tried with my 24-7mm and my 100-400 mm origianl canon lenses.

What is wrong?? The camera is brand new  Comming from a 40D.. Have I missed something in the menu? and a upgrade to latest firmware didn´t fix  the problem..

Does anyone has a solution?

Thank you in advance..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

To change you go to C.Fn2 menu (the 2 of 4 menu with the Orange Camera symbol) the go to "Custom Controls".  The first one is the Shutter butt. half-press, choose AF On and Metering.  I'm surprised that "Clearing All C.Fn" didn't work but then I never had to use it yet... :).  Please let me know if this solves your problem.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

diverhank
Authority

Even though it's brand new, it might have been tested by Canon and left some options on by mistake.  From what you described, the focus by shutter button may have been disabled.  The only mode that AF will work is the green A+ as you mentioned.  Try focusing using the AF-ON button.  It should focus with that unless that has been changed also.

On purpose, I disable the focus by shutter button and use the AF-ON button for focusing.  This gives me better control of the focus.   So when I hand my camera for someone to take a picture with me in it, I would switch to the A+ mode otherwise I would be in an out of focus picture

A firmware change will not reset the custom settings.  You will need to perform a reset all (the yellow wrench menu SETUP 4 of 4 (Clear all camera settings).  Also try Clear All Custom Func. (C.Fn) in the Orange Camera menu.

That should do it.

Tnx. For your answet. The af on bottom focuses but even fact. Reset will not give me normal aut. Focusing. So something is still wrong.
Where do I disable Focusing by shutter?

To change you go to C.Fn2 menu (the 2 of 4 menu with the Orange Camera symbol) the go to "Custom Controls".  The first one is the Shutter butt. half-press, choose AF On and Metering.  I'm surprised that "Clearing All C.Fn" didn't work but then I never had to use it yet... :).  Please let me know if this solves your problem.

Ohhh.. thank you... You are my Hero.. It worked! ´How will the world be without the Internet and forum Cat Happy

Thank you so much. This helpe me!

Thank you so much for this invaluable information.  We have now successfully reset my hubbys camera that had this exact problem and we thought it was a fault.  It is now working as it should:)  Thank you once again.

I'm having a problem with the camera not showing the red box focusing point. Is this a toggle switch? Can anyone help me?

Dpedey15
Apprentice
My camera dropped today from short distances. But the eye focus was off. I could focus it with the lens and make get a clear shot with the screen. But through the eye lens it was still blurry. What should I do about this? Any suggestions?

@Dpedey15 wrote:
My camera dropped today from short distances. But the eye focus was off. I could focus it with the lens and make get a clear shot with the screen. But through the eye lens it was still blurry. What should I do about this? Any suggestions?

Unless your camera is so old and inexpensive that the exercise isn't worth the cost, my suggestion would be that you get it fixed.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements