cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 500D Shutdown Problem

theyunuscakir
Contributor

Greetings everyone. I have a Canon 500D camera. I want to use it as a webcam. I connected the connections to the computer with the capture card. I reflect instantly. However, the machine turns itself off after 30 or 40 minutes. I press the shutter button halfway and the image comes back. I see that the battery is half charged. Please support me as to what the reason is.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Reset the camera back to factory defaults.  Check to see if your camera is supported.  Supported cameras should be in video mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

First of all, thank you Waddizzle for the information. I have done what you mentioned. I also did a version update. However, I did not get any results.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Is your battery fully charged? Is your camera compatible?

Are connecting via USB? ???

What exactly do you mean by compatible? I am already able to transfer data to computer via hdmi mini hdmi with capture card.My problem is that the machine shuts down after a certain time. I am also fully using the battery. Could it be related to battery life?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
HDMI? It does not seem that you are trying to use the EOS Websm Utility, which requires the use of the USB port.

If your camera is stopping after about 30 minutes, then it is probably working properly.

The webcam utility does not support it. I actually made a statement in my first message. I am using a capture card.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
It sounds like your camera is working properly. It just so happens that it is not a webcam, and probably never can.

Please, watch this https://youtu.be/aDOfnBTrliE

@theyunuscakir wrote:
Please, watch this https://youtu.be/aDOfnBTrliE

That guy is bad science.  He advocates installing ML, so that you can use the EOS Webcam Utility with older, unsupported cameras.  He also promotes the idea of using the HDMI output of the camera, which the Webcam Utility does not detect or recognize.

Finally, when he said that the camera clears its settings when you turn it off, but you can retain your settings by saving them to the "My Menu" option, I was convinced the guy has no clue what he is talking about.

Good Luck!

Announcements