cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 30D to Canon EOS 1300D?

Saluki
Enthusiast

My 30D has bit the dust - won't power on any longer. Came across a used EOS1300D - will the lenses of the 30D be useable on the 1300? Is it a "step up" from the 30D?

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

All of the lenses that you used on your 30D should work with the 1300D.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/dslr792.html

The major differences will be a higher resolution image sensor, 18MP, and body build.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks. Sounds like a good choice then.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Is it a "step up" from the 30D?"

I would say, no, it is not. The 30D or any xxD Canon camera is an intermediate level model. The T6 or any Tx model is a beginner entry level camera. That is not to say it isn't capable of nice photos it is! And, any camera that works is better then one that doesn't. All of the xxD models can accept EF and EF-S lenses, it uses an APS-C sized image sensor as does the T6 or any Tx model.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

I agree.. any lenses you used on your 30D will fit and work on a 1300D (which is known as a Rebel T6 in N. America or a Kiss X80 in Japan).

However, it is only partly an "upgrade".

Yes, the T6/1300D has a higher resolution 18MP sensor (30D is 8MP). Also the 30D is a 12 bit camera, where all (?) cameras that came later are 14 bit, which helps a little with color rendition... slightly more color depth and slightly more dynamic range.The T6/1300D has a larger, brighter rear LCD screen.

The T6/1300D can shoot HD video. The 30D has no video capabilities.

Surprisingly considering the age difference, they have nearly the same low light/high ISO rating (not very good) from DXO.

The T6/1300D is ten years newer (2016 vs 2006), so you would expect significant improvements... but they are actually relatively few and far between.

While both 30D and the T6/1300D are APS-C format cameras, the latter is a very "entry-level" model with a lower specification shutter, slower frame rate (3 frames sec vs 5 frames sec), more plasticky construction, less sealing for dust and moisture, lower durability and a smaller, less bright "penta-mirror" viewfinder. The 30D's VF uses a true pentaprism and has slightly higher magnification.

The 30D is more a "mid-grade" camera with more direct access to controls, a more robust build (rated for 100,000 clicks versus 75,000), a higher specification shutter (1/8000 top speed vs 1/4000), better sealing for dust and moisture resistance, ability to be fitted with a vertical battery grip (none avail. for T6), larger battery capacity,

The autofocus systems of the two cameras are essentially the same. A 9-point array with only the center point a higher performing "dual axis" type. The entry level xxxxD Canon still use this primitive AF system that was first seen in the 20D around 2005.

In the end, I'd call it a very mixed bag. Yes, the T6/1300D would be a bit of an step up from a 30D. But in a lot of other ways it might be considered a step down. I used a pair of 30D for several years, shooting sports professionally. They were very good cameras in their day and never let me down. I worked with some other photographers using Nikon and was able to get usable images at higher ISO with my 30D than they could with their more expensive, contemporary Nikon D200 cameras. I also got utterly soaked once by a sudden downpour while out shooting with my 30D. I turned off the power immediately, then carefully dried out the cameras (and lenses, flashes and myself) for several days. No harm done! Everything continued to work as it should. I later "graduated" to Canon 50D (15MP), then to 7D (18MP), then to 7D Mark II (20MP).

Below is a rough hierarchy of Canon APS-C format cameras...

• xxxxxD (most entry-level, currently 1500D/2000D/T7 and 4000D)
  • 200D & 250D (SL2 and currently SL3 in N. America)
  • xxxD (currently T8i, note the "i")
  • xxD (currently 90D)
  • xD (7D Mark II, recently discontinued)

I presume the T6/1300D you are looking at is selling for somewhere in the $150 to $180 range. Frankly, looking at used Canon APS-C DSLRs on the MPB.com website (where I got that price estimate), there are any number of cameras that cost the same or just a little more... or even a little less... that I would recommend instead of a T6/1300D.

• EOS 650D costs about the same, is a little older than 1300D but newer than 30D, uses the same 18MP sensor as 1300D, but has a newer processor and is a higher spec camera in a number of ways. Oddly, a Rebel T4i is exactly the same as a 650D, but is selling for a little more. I also found Rebel T5i (700D) selling for about the same as T4i.
  • EOS 50D is even older than 1300D and slightly lower resolution at 15MP, but is actually selling for less and is higher specification in almost every other way... durability, frame rate, AF system (same 9-point, but all dual axis and more responsive), sealing, shutter specs.. You name it. The 50D was the top of the Canon APS-C line in it's day.
  • EOS 60D are a little newer, higher resolution and same 18MP as 1300D, and are selling for $200-$250. However, it was at this point Canon intro'd the EOS 7D "pro grade" APS-C (in response to Nikon's successful D200 & D300 models?). In a few ways, while still "mid-grade" the 60D got a little downgraded (more plasticky than 50D, also lost Micro Focus Adjust feature, and no "joystick"). In comparison, the 7D was a significant upgrade with more robust body (150,000 click rated), add'l sealing, a new high performance AF system (19-point, all dual axis), faster frame rate (8 fps), bigger/brighter viewfinder and more. Some EOS 7D are actually selling for less than 1300D/T6 on MPB, but I bet they have seen hard use. But even "Low mileage" 7D are only a little more than 1300D, a bit over $200. That's roughly the same as used 60D prices.... and I'd take a 7D over a 60D any day of the week!

There may be some other deals but I'll stop with this short list of alternatives. I'm sure you get the idea. Any of these cameras can use the lenses you already have for your 30D... probably. If they are Canon lenses, no worries. However if any of them are 3rd party lenses (i.e., Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.) there sometimes can be problems using those on newer cameras. Most work, but occasionally one won't. For example I have a Sigma 28-70mm that worked fine on my EOS-3 and Elan 7 (EOS 30) film cameras, as well as my DSLRs up to the 30D... but not on any more recent Canon DSLRs. Also, even with Canon you might find various performance improvements and better image quality from a newer or more upgrade lens. Often lenses will make a bigger difference in image results, than a camera upgrade will.

A couple examples shot with EOS 50D...

3833798257_acab5b39bb_p.jpg5755904241_9fa5869fb8_b.jpg

A couple examples shot with 7D...

5662609416_10dfe0f24f_o.jpg8982944000_3ccc9dd3ee_o.jpg

You can see from the above why sealing against dust is important to me! 🙄

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

With the feedback given here I've decided to try a 7D, used, but rated as in excellent condition with a shutter count of < than 10K. Should have it in a week or so.

Saluki
Enthusiast

Thanks.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Saluki what's your budget?

You mentioned the 70D elsewhere.. Your sort of running all over the map.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Saluki
Enthusiast

Decided to go with the 1300D - like new, and has what I need.

Saluki
Enthusiast

With the feedback given here I've decided to try a 7D, used, but rated as in excellent condition with a shutter count of < than 10K. Should have it in a week or so.

Announcements