cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot update 7D MKII firmware

tityra
Contributor

After a bad spate of this camera writing illegible, corrupted image files (both CR2 and JPG), I am trying to update the firmware to see if that solves this issue.

I have meticulously followed the firmware update instructions for the 7D MKII including locating the latest firmware update (on a freshly in-camera formatted CF card, two, in fact), and placing the file on the highest (root) level of the card. 

From the menu, I click OK on Update firmware, and I am presented with the following message: "Firmware update program. Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.  After hours of trying (including re-downloading, re-formatting), trying an SD card instead, etc., nothing gets me past this impass. At that point, the screen hangs in the 'on' position, even if I turn off the camera.  So I must remove the battery to restart.

I run Windows 10 Professional.  I look forward to your 'helpful' replies.

Thank you,

tityra

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Firmware update is unlikely to resolve the issue. Have you reste the camera? If you take an image does it display properly on the LCD?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks so much. Yes, this is a last ditch effort before I toss this camera.  I can take photos all day, and then in reviewing them on the LCD, see that most of the thumbnails are replaced by images of question marks. The images and videos are not recoverable using any third party software even though their file sizes are normal.  Thus, even testing is unlikely to identify the issue.   

Hi JR.  Thanks for your note.  I have no idea how I would test the camera beyond what I experience. After a while, or a day, shooting, during which I seen the 2-second screen display of every photo I am taking, I then put it into display mode, and all I see in the thumbnail grid is a question mark where every image thumbnail should be displayed.  When I try to view any of them, all I get is an error message (cannot display image, or some such). 

How does one even begin to test this?

Thanks,  Philip

@tityra wrote:

Hi JR.  Thanks for your note.  I have no idea how I would test the camera beyond what I experience. After a while, or a day, shooting, during which I seen the 2-second screen display of every photo I am taking, I then put it into display mode, and all I see in the thumbnail grid is a question mark where every image thumbnail should be displayed.  When I try to view any of them, all I get is an error message (cannot display image, or some such). 

How does one even begin to test this?

Thanks,  Philip

Hi. Sorry, it was a typo - I meant to type "reset". But I think even that will not help - sounds like you have an internal circuit board failure.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you, JR.  I am grateful even for this sad news because I won't be on a wild goose chase. Now I an impressive paperweight.   I am seriously considering a mirrorless Canon now. 

Best wishes. - Philip

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Your camera seems to have a problem with the read/write functions of the memory card and maybe that is preventing the firmware update. To get around this issue, I would leave the memory card out, and try to do the update using the EOS Utility instead. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks. I did not know about the EOS utility.  I assume it's a Canon program I can locate on their support site. I will give it a try.  Thank you!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I also doubt a firmware update can correct hardware malfunctions.

How long have you owned this camera?  Have you ever experienced issues with memory cards before?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have owned this camera for about 4 years.  I remember this happening early-on, but it was inconsistent, and still is.  I don't usually have any SD card issues.  Also, at one point, I had set to record to both SD and CF.  When the problem happened on the SD card, it simultaneously happened on the CF card.  Thus it seems to be an issue with the camera corrupting the files either as they are written, or possibly retroactively.   Thanks/cheers.

Announcements