cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Canon eos R10 use Sigma Lenses and would you recommend a sigma lense for talking head videos

Natechenry
Enthusiast

4 REPLIES 4

Greetings mark00,

There is truth in what waddizzle is saying.   I currently have two sigma lenses. Both are current manufacturer and part of their global vision line.  One is contemporary, one is art.

I have a mirrorless body and canon control ring.  In photo mode, both lenses work pretty well.  Focus speed and accuracy are good (a little slower at times) but not the same as they were on a DSLR.  Video mode is a completely different story.  Even with updated firmware, the lenses often struggle.  Focus acquisition is not as fast and occasionally loses tracking for a few second.  With the R10 and my R5 C you don't have to worry about "jello" in the corners from ibis.  However, the focus performance in video using adapted 3rd party lenses is what hastened my move to RF glass.  My conclusion, third party, adapted glass for still photography works pretty well.  For video projects, I would recommend RF lenses.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Currently, there no Sigma RF mount lenses.  Sigma has acknowledged that their EF mount lenses are not fully compatible with the he RF mount when used with an adapter.  The issue appears to be related auto-focusing.  The user may experience occasional issues tracking moving subjects or with Eye-AF.

Can an adapted Sigma lens work for talking head video?  This is a shooting scenario that does not rely on autofocus for success.    I believe an adapted Sigma lens can handle it well when you disable AF on the lens and IBIS in the camera.

Personally, I think the “issues” users are experiencing with RF bodies and Sigma EF lenses is not really anything new.  Sigma lenses have had a long history of occasional AF issues over the years, all of which seem related to tracking moving subjects.

The “issue” with RF bodies is probably related to their MUCH higher frame rates compared to the DSLRs. That the lenses were designed for.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Looks like the previous post from mark00 was withdrawn.

shadowsports_0-1671549396199.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

In my experience, the OS in Sigma lenses would get into a tug-of-war with AF in Canon DSLRs, which would cause weird things to happen in the OVF.  Sigma seemed to have corrected these issues with their Global lineup of lenses, until the RF mount came along.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements