cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't shoot photo or video in live view mode.

muriop9
Contributor

I can take photos through the viewfinder but if i switch to live(photo or video) it goes black. iI can record when on video but theres no video its just black, i do get audio though. sometimes when i first turn the camera on live view will work but if I turn it off then try to go back it will just give me black screen again.

heres a video  https://imgur.com/a/pTuumQy 

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Can you please tell us what body this is.  It looks like an 80D?

Start here:

Reset the camera settings.

Can't tell from the video if you are doing anything with your right hand?  Are you moving the main dial or is the camera just cycling, flickering on its own?

Got a little more once I enabled sound on imgurs website.  

Are you using a full size memory card or one with an adapter?

Also try removing the eye-cup from the viewfinder.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ive reset the settings, memory card is full size 32gb sandisk ultra 80ms/s. heres another video if you can hear what it sounds like when i switch live view on and off. heres another video if you can hear what its doing? https://imgur.com/a/Q8hOVHe 

Ive reset the settings, memory card is full size 32gb sandisk ultra 80ms/s. heres another video if you can hear what it sounds like when i switch live view on and off. heres another video if you can hear what its doing? https://imgur.com/a/Q8hOVHe

Greetings,

Time for some back story.

Are you the original owner?

Was this camera purchased new or did you buy used?

If you are the original owner, when do you remember it working normally?

The sound you hear when you switch from viewfinder to live view is the mirror being locked up.  Thats normail.  

I didn't see any display in the top LCD in either mode.

It looks like this camera needs service.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I bought it new about a year ago, i havent used it much but it started happening after i got a new 50mm lense couple weeks ago. Is there any quick fix or do i need to send it out?

No magic fix.

Of course you should try with another lens attached.

-Also if not already done

Different SD card

Remove the eye-cup

The absence of display (from what I could see any way) on the top LCD in any mode is what's concerining.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

muriop9
Contributor
Yes it's an 80D. I took a picture then switched it to live view then switched to video mode. It stays black and doesn't let me take photo. I'll check the card and try what you say then report back. Thanks for the reply!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements