cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get my Canon T6i to connect to YN568EX III Speedlite flash to connect off camera

tjlmicro
Apprentice

I am trying to connect my Canon T6i to my YN568EX III flash off camera.  If I attach the flash directly to the camera, in the flash control menu/External flash function setting, I can see the menu and everything seems to work fine.  However, when I remove the flash from the camera, I get the following message: Menu not available.  Flash is off or unsuppoted or an accessory is attached.  Since the flash is supposed to be able to connect to the camera wirelessly, and I have put the flash in "slave" mode with a Ch1 but none of this works.  I don't know what to do at this point.  Can I use some sort of sync cable to connect the camera to the flash?  Any guidance on how to connect the camera and flash would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Tim

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Notice the highlighted text in the image just below.  The T6i User Guide tells you shat an optical slave is, and how to set up the camera to act like an optical master.

CE3331CC-D34E-4DF2-86B7-94B988562AF9.jpeg

You will need to refer to the Yongnuo User Manual to see how to set it up as an optical slave.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response, and I have read through the manual for the flash but I am still confused about what to do to get the flash to communicate with the camera when it is not attached to the camera.  Has anyone used this flash off-camera with the Canon T6i and gotten it to work and if so how did you do it?

@tjlmicro wrote:

Thank you for your response, and I have read through the manual for the flash but I am still confused about what to do to get the flash to communicate with the camera when it is not attached to the camera.  Has anyone used this flash off-camera with the Canon T6i and gotten it to work and if so how did you do it?

No intelligent communications takes place.  The camera broadcasts a "FIRE" signal to any and every one who is listening.

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@tjlmicro wrote:

. .  . and I have put the flash in "slave" mode with a Ch1 but none of this works.  I don't know what to do at this point.  Can I use some sort of sync cable to connect the camera to the flash?  Any guidance on how to connect the camera and flash would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Tim

Have you set both the camera and the flash to operate on the same channel?

BurnUnit,

Thanks for your reply.  I have set the channel for Ch1 on the flash but I don't know how to set the channel for the camera.  I have looked at all of the menus on the camera and I can't find anything referring to the channel.  I have also checked the manual and there is no reference to channel in the manual.  How do you set the channel on the camera?  Thanks for your help.

@tjlmicro wrote:

BurnUnit,

Thanks for your reply.  I have set the channel for Ch1 on the flash but I don't know how to set the channel for the camera.  I have looked at all of the menus on the camera and I can't find anything referring to the channel.  I have also checked the manual and there is no reference to channel in the manual.  How do you set the channel on the camera?  Thanks for your help.

This may sound harsh and cruel but you need to be told.  Download a copy of the User Guide, and read it.  There is a section on "Wireless Flash Photography" that you need to read, review, and reference.

BEC9CD7F-DB25-4BF4-A54A-76ADFC381AAE.jpeg

The camera's user guide does not tell you how to set up the flash, and the flash unit user guide does not tell you how to set up the camera.  It is YOUR responsibility to connect the dots.  You have only discovered the first hurdle.

Announcements