cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I still use my EOS Rebel T7 after losing images on memory card?

alxia_25
Contributor

Hi there so with there was an issue with my memory card and I might try Disk Drill to recover my images but I have a question about what I do after that is all said and done. After retrieving the pictures, can I continue to use my camera how I previously did or would I have to buy a new memory card? Thank you for your time!

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Generally, after recovery if you do a low-level format in the camera it should be fine. But I use the underwear rule: If it's doubtful, its dirty. Replace that card as soon as you can. It is not trustworthy anymore.

You should have a few spare cards, anyway.

normadel
Authority
Authority

Having only one memory card is not a good idea in the best of circumstances. ANY memory card can fail. You never know. Entrusting all your work to one card is risky. Get additional cards and rotate them. Then if a card fails, you have not lost all your work. And don't keep photos on the memory cards long-term. Move photos to a computer, external hard drive, etc. Format a card after you have emptied it. If there's any problem doing the format, stop using that card.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Alxia and welcome to the forum:

As my colleagues have alluded to, re-using a memory card comes with risk.  On the T7, you can't do anything about having only one memory card slot, but you can reduce the risk by the following:

Buy only FULL-SIZE SD cards from reputable makers, such as SanDisk, Lexar, Procard and get from reputable dealers.  Some cards come with kits full of bits and pieces that may seem like a good deal but are often of dubious value.   There are lots of counterfeit cards out there.

As my associate Normadel alluded to, once you had done a session of photography it is wise to turn off the camera, remove the card, put it into an SD card reader (built-in or USB) and copy the files to your computer or device.  Then remove said card, return it to the camera and format the card clean using the camera's format command.  Never pull a card out when there is a light on at the back rear of the camera near the card door - that can corrupt a card because that light tells you the card is in use.

The loss of a card should not impact the camera itself, so replacing a card if it fails should be an issue limited to the card only.  In 24 years of shooting, I have had only one card issue with this method and it was a buffer overload, not so much the card - but there are no absolute guarantees, only risk mitigation.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements