cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't shoot - with one lens only

phkc070408
Enthusiast

I have a Canon T5i and 4 different lenses.  One of them is the Tamron.  I've had this lens for 5 years now and it's worked flawessly until last week.

I put the lens on the camera and placed it in auto-focus mode.  1. It won't auto focus.  The AF goes to the one extreme and back to the other, passing over the proper AF setting.  It then realizes that it can't find the AF point and stops searching.  Also, when I then press the release button fully, it won't shoot.  It DOES shoot when in manual focus.

I cleaned the contacts on the lens as well as the camera.  I als placed the camera in manual focus mode and adjusted the focus from one extreme to the other baxck and forth 3 times.  I did the same with the zoom, zooming fully and then wide open back amd forth 3 or 4 times.  This was recommended by Canon.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aaaaaand I got to the bottom of it.  I forgot that I have a polarized filter on it.  I rotated the filter and it works perfect now.

Of course this means I'm going to take the filters off now when not in use!!  🤦‍♂️

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ray-uk
Whiz

Have you tried using it in good lighting conditions, preferably outdoors on a bright day. If that doesn't work then it must be assumed that the lens is faulty and needs repair.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I cleaned the contacts on the lens as well as the camera."

Almost useless to do that. It rarely to never works.

"I have a Canon T5i and 4 different lenses." "One of them is the Tamron."

Do you mean no lens works or just the Tamron?

"It DOES shoot when in manual focus."

This is normal behavior. If a camera can't obtain focus it will not shoot.  When the lens is set to MF the camera doesn't care where focus is.

Here is what you do.  Clear all settings, menus, tools and clear all custom settings, too.  Now set the T5i to P mode on the dial. Set ISO to 200 and Average WB. Format the SD card. Do not set or change any other thing or setting.  Put the lens, not the Tamron, in AF on the lens switch. Go outside on a nice sunny day and take several shoots of various subjects.  Close and far.  If it works, there is nothing wrong with the camera. If it doesn't work call Canon for service.

"One of them is the Tamron B023." " This was recommended by Canon."

A Canon tech gave you advice on using a Tamron lens?  Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi Guys:  I just got home from a long road-trip.  To follow-up:

1. Only this lens doesn't work.  All of my other lenses work fine.

2. While I haven't tried it in bright lighting, the conditions I waa using it in are no different than those I normally use it in - in side my house after dark with reasonable lighting.

When I called Canon, I was looking to know if it was possible if I accidently changed a setting on the camera that would cause this.  The Canon rep told me to try those basic troubleshooting tips.

I will definitely reset the camera, format my SD card, put on a different lens, go out on a sunnd day, etc. and give it a try.

I'm leaning towards the lens being faulty, but am curious as to what it could be.

"I'm leaning towards the lens being faulty,..."

Me too!  WHo knows why, anything made by the hand of man can and will eventually fail.

EB

Aaaaaand I got to the bottom of it.  I forgot that I have a polarized filter on it.  I rotated the filter and it works perfect now.

Of course this means I'm going to take the filters off now when not in use!!  🤦‍♂️

@phkc070408 wrote:

I am not surprised.  I stop using CPL filters because of the negative effects they can have on phase detection AF systems.  While i have never had the AF not work, I have had many soft images.

Given how far images processing has come, there is almost no reason to use any filter, except for a CLEAR protective filter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well I put the filter on when I was on a day-trip where I was shopping a loot through the car windshield, but I agree that it should definitely come off now.

" I forgot that I have a polarized filter on it."

... and forgot to mention it at your first post!  Most of us would have answered your issue quickly had we known that fact.

EB

Is this circularly or linearly polarized?

Announcements