cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera recommendations for bird and landscape photography - EF mount

Icey_
Apprentice

Hey! I wanted to ask for some recommendation on what camera I should buy for bird photography and some landscape shots. I currently have a EOS T7 and am buying a Sigma 150-600c for it. I’ve been thinking of upgrading to a better camera. Something that’s not too expensive but that is good. I’m looking for one that has quick AF capabilities and a touchscreen that is moveable for easiest shots on a tripod

I’ve been looking at the 6D Mkii (keep in mind I’m quite new to this) and it seems like a good option. I’m looking to maybe buy them used so I don’t have to pay full price. Is this a good camera? Is it worth buying?

4 REPLIES 4

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Icey_,

This is just my personal opinion, but I think you can do better.

The 6D mkII only has a Digic 7 processor. You should shoot for a Digic 8 or Digic X

It only shoots at 6.5 frames per second max

It's heavy. It weighs 27 oz. That's 756 grams.

If it were me, I'd look into the T8i or 90D, or even move into the mirrorless world.

Steve Thomas

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It might be worth your time to consider Canon Refurb.  This is a good way to stretch your dollar and get more camera or lens than you might have been able to new.  Canon refurb products come with the same 1 yr warranty as new.

The Sigma 150-600c is a great lens.  I still have mine, but its retired.  I also owned the 6D2 for 5 yrs.  Personally I would choose it over a T8i (also a good camera) for the following reasons.

Better native ISO (40,000 vs 25,800)

Built in GPS

Better battery performance  1200 vs 800 shots

Weather sealing

Both cameras are 45 AF Point focus systems.  The 6D2 will also use 1 point center AF at f8 with a TC.  The T8i is more limited depending on shooting conditions.   

I have not looked at the 90D's performance in this regard, but the information is out there I'm sure.  Note, the T8i is 3 yrs newer than the 6D2.  I came from a T6s (APS-C) so a full frame body was my goal.  

With this behind us.  For wildlife in conjunction with a Sigma 150-600c.  (DSLR) the 90D is the best choice for wildlife over the 6D2 or T8i.

Pairing the same lens with a mirrorless body, I'd probably choose the R7 or R10.  You are still going to need a shorter lens for landscapes. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Icey_,

If you do decide to move into mirrorless, and you want to keep the Sigma 150-600 that you just bought, you'll also need to get an adapter. They run about $120.

Check beforehand that the camera you buy is compatible with that lens.

I do not know if this is true, but I saw a reference that the R7 is not compatible with the Sigma 150-600 in AF Servo mode.

Steve Thomas

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

I take it from your comment that the issues the push you to move from your T7 are speed of focus and lack of touch screen.  Is the requirement for a touch screen for wildlife or landscape subjects?   For example, birds on the wing are generally moving so fast as to require hand-hold shooting and a touch screen is not really compatible with that.

If you are looking to wildlife, then the new mirrorless range has several features that are not as good in DSLRs - eye and face lock and tracking.  It is significantly better.   Also, the sensors and processors are better, so you will get faster focus, processing, and better ISO performance.   Some bodies (R3, R5 and R6 variants and the R7) also offer In-Body-Image stabilization for better hand-holding performance, in particular with RF lenses.

The Sigma 150-600c will work (via the EF-RF adapter) with the first three (which are all full-frame cameras) absolutely fine, and with the R7- albeit with some limitations.   The R7 focus system is not as sophisticated as the others mentioned here.  All of these cameras have fully-articulated screens, which you may find helpful for touch-screen operation.

If you are serious about this endeavour in the long term, then I suggest going the R-series route.  If necessary, save up for a while for a camera you will use for some time.

Landscape is another issue.  That tends to be with lenses of a shorter focal length.   You do not mention precisely what optics you have so, but if they are the kit lenses then I suggest that you consider an R-series lens when you can afford it.  Using your EF-S lenses on a full-frame body will not work at all for DSLRs, and if you move to an R-series body, while they will physically connect, they will significantly downsize the images captured

As my colleagues have alluded to, you can get refurbished cameras and lenses from Canon Refurbished Cameras & Accessories | Canon U.S.A, Inc.  These are often new or in new condition and come with a warranty from Canon.

Right now, for example, the Canon R6, a full-frame prosumer model with the same focus and tracking system as the professional model, the R5, is on sale for $1099: Canon Refurbished EOS R6 Camera Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.
I am a wildlife photographer myself, but also shoot other subjects, including landscapes and can personally say this is an absolutely excellent camera that will let you grow into it for a long time.   I still have two that I shoot with, and have successfully used the Sigma 150-600c with no issues.

If you want to stay with a crop-sensor body, then there is a deal for the R7 with the excellent RF 18-150 IS lens.
Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R7 RF-S18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Kit |

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements