cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help finding a lens for wildlife

jenik
Apprentice

I'm big into wildlife photography but only have an EF-S 55-250mm which isn't enough reach. I know the sigma 150-600 C is a good lens but is a bit out of my budget. Any Lens recommendations for about €500 second hand would be great! For EF-S or EF mount TIA

5 REPLIES 5

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have the Sigma 150-600mm and find it to be a good lens. For your budget in Euros, I feel someone can help you with the European market for used lenses.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Lets see that's about $550 dollars. That should be enough to buy a good used Sigma 150-600mm C lens at least here in the States anyway. In the US a new one is a bit under $900. It is a good candidate to buy used since most don't get used all that much. A lot of folks find they are limited in use and they are more difficult to use so they wind up in the bag on the shelf for most of their life.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It's always challenging for those of us not in Europe to gauge pricing ranges, considering their different market and tax/duty conditions.   I looked at the closest site for used gear that I could find was MPB(dot)COM and they have several Sigma 150-600c units for Canon, but they are all around 800 Euros.

I would suggest that for wildlife, rather than plumb for a shorter focal range you can afford immediately, you save up and get a Sigma when you have the funds - its worth saving for.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You haven't told us what camera you are shooting with.  My colleagues have expressed the benefits of a 150-600mm lens.  I also feel upping your budget just a bit to buy a used 150-600 is worthy of your consideration.  The only other lens in a lower priced tier is the EF 70-300 USM II.  Its a great lens, but I (we) feel the Sigma with its increased reach would be a better value and best suited for wildlife in this case.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

March411
Rising Star

MPB UK has a Sigma 150-600 (£634) in excellent condition. I buy from them in the states and they have performed very well.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for post processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/
click here to view the gallery
Announcements