cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera locks up, recording message

deborah1
Apprentice

I just bought a T6s and have a strange problem (I hope it's a simple answer!). I can take one picture and then it locks up and I cannot take another. The message on the LCD monitor is "Recording..." "Remaining images: 1" with the continuously circling ball. It's as if it can't record. We formatted the card. So I'm not sure what's wrong. When my husband first got the camera, he ussed it for a few days without any problem. This just started today.

30 REPLIES 30

Again thank you for your help.

First, just double checked and all SD cards we are using fit the requirements. So we can check that off. Smiley Happy

Screenshot_2016-04-02-12-11-10.png

As for the HDR, it appears this mode is only available in the SCN mode on the mode dial. As for all of our testing, we have been using Auto w/ flash, Auto w/o flash, and M. The issue presents itself most (but not limited to these conditions) when we change the settings on Manual and create long exposures, etc. For some reason, it seems that anything the camera needs use processing power for just sends it for a loop. 

I am now testing to see what happens if I leave the camera to porcess the image fully. I want to see if it will eventually finish. Right now I am at 5 mins counting

Here is an image of what I am looking at after I have turned the power swithc to off.

Recording issues Canon t6s.jpg

I have just had the same thing happen to my 5D Mkiii - the same error came up and continued with the power off. Now I can't get the camera to even power up, although it is trying to read the card when I switch it on. I've changed the card, no change to the power situation so I can't even reset to factory settings. Gutted. It's only got about a shutter count of about 15,000 (I'd bought it second hand so no idea if it still has a warranty or not). @Canon, is this likely to be a repair job?

@Angelam1 wrote:

I have just had the same thing happen to my 5D Mkiii - the same error came up and continued with the power off. Now I can't get the camera to even power up, although it is trying to read the card when I switch it on. I've changed the card, no change to the power situation so I can't even reset to factory settings. Gutted. It's only got about a shutter count of about 15,000 (I'd bought it second hand so no idea if it still has a warranty or not). @Canon, is this likely to be a repair job?

Sorry, to hear about your camera issues.  If you have had the used camera for more than 6 months, it is unlikely that your camera is still covered by a guarantee, which is a little different from a warranty.

Try powering up the camera without a lens or any memory cards.  Push come to shove.  Remove the battery, and fully press the shutter for at least 10 seconds.  This can fully clear the cameras internal memory, including the date and time.

Reinsert the battery.  If you still have issues without a lens or memory card, then your camera body probably needs service.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Brilliant! It worked!! Thanks so much, very grateful. 🙂

@Angelam1 wrote:
Brilliant! It worked!! Thanks so much, very grateful. 🙂

You're welcome.  I am happy things worked out for you.  I forgot to say that you need to first turn on power without a battery, and THEN hold the shutter for at least 10 seconds.

BAS_CanonShoot
Contributor
After 1 hr 30 mins. the battery almost gave up so I quit the experiment.

Recharge the battery, and perform a full reset of the camera.  Refer to the manual on how to do it.  Restoring Factory Settings should be an option in one of the menus.  Be aware that any custom settings may be lost. 

Also, be sure that the SD card that you are using has been formatted in the camera, not elsewhere.  If the cad has been formatted elsewhere, then it is necessary to to do a low-level reformat inside of the camera.  Be sure that the storage size of the of card does not exceed 64 GB, which you seem to have already confirmed.

Also, there is an internal battery that keeps track date/time.  The camera may not be fully reset until that internal battery has also discharged, too.  Some people, who report using various different models, claim they have reset this internal battery by removing the main battery, turning on the camera and pressing the shutter, turning it off and repeating a few times.  I have no first hand info to support those claims.

BAS_CanonShoot
Contributor
I was able to find the equivalent of the factory reset for this camera (it's called "clear all settings"). After charging the battery to full I removed the SD card and cleared all the settings (factory reset). I then replaced the SD (16 GB SDHC Lexor Class 10) and factory reset it in the camera. I then used the camera in auto mode and was able to take several photos without issue. I then switched to manual mode and took several photos with the preset settings without a problem. Sadly, I then turned the shutter speed up and then experienced all the above symptoms. I then repeated the factory reset options and from the very first photo experienced the issues described above ("busy" flashing "999" etc.)

Thank you for all your help. It is apparent this issue is abnormal.

I am not convinced that your camera was fully reset.  If the date and time did not clear, then it is highly likely that all internal camera settings were reset. 

The internal battery is auto-charged from the removable battery.  The internal battery keep track of date and time, and other setting details, when the rechargeable battery is removed.  I suggest removing the rechargeable battery, turning the camera on, pressing the shutter. and then let it set for a week.  We want to clear the date and time inside the camera.

natedeni
Apprentice

hello, I have been having the same issue and was hoping to get some help on it.

I have a canon t6i and bought it roughly a couple weeks ago.  out of nowhere it has been having the issue of saying busy...please wait and not processing the images (i left it doing this at full battery and did this until it died so it's not even loading).  Mine isn't consistent either but will happen roughly every 5 pictures i take until i have to turn it off and take out the battery and try again.  when i turn the camera off though it gives me a recording...remaining images: 1.  I am using a kingston 16gb class 10 sd card and have tried another sd card and same issue.  I factory reset the camera and formatted the card and nothing helped.  I cleaned the camera and even switched lenses and that didn't help either.  If I could get some help on this that would be very appreciated

Announcements