CR2 files question?

Fredrek
Apprentice

hello everybody i been shooting in raw for canon which is CR2 files but i havent had any luck being able to open them on my computer, photoshop, or lightroom idk what going on plus i been using some online website to convert the files to jpeg but i notice they look of less quality? i need help in trying to figure out a better way. if anyone could email me personally would be the faster way

email address deleted per terms of policy

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You ask here, get the answer here.

What computer? What OS?

What camera?

In any case Canon's DPP will work with your camera. You got it on the CD with the camera, or you can get it from Canon's website.

i have the Surface pro 3

with the canon eos T6s

and so i can download it from the website because i dont have a cd rom in my computer and thanks for the replay

Photoshop and Lightroom should work, try to update them.

I was going to tell you to make sure to use standard RAW images, not the compressed m-raw, but it seems that the T6S only does full size raws.

diverhank
Authority

What camera, photoshop and light room versions do you have?  

Every Canon camera appears to have a different CR2 format.  Each time a new camera comes out, Adobe would decode the new RAW format and incorporate it via a software update to its RAW Editor (part of PS & LR).

What you will need to do is to update your Adobe RAW to the latest version before it will recognize the RAW file.  

If you have the latest and greatest PS and LR, this is not a problem.  If your version is older you may not be able to update the RAW Editor because Adobe stops supporting the older versions at some point.

For example, if your Photoshop is CS6 and you just bought a Canon 5DMark IV then you are out of luck.  Adobe does not let you update to the latest version to support this camera.  Adobe website will tell you which version of PS and LR supports what cameras.

You, at this point, have the option to upgrade to the latest version of PS/LR or you can download the free Adobe RAW to DNG converter. (DNG is Adobe's RAW format).  Once you convert your CR2 to DNG, it will work in virtually any PS/LR versions you might have.  I used to convert everything to DNG (I don't anymore as I don't want to be slaved to Adobe) and I could tell no difference between CR2 and DNG.

Edit: For the T6s, you need Adobe Camera RAW version 8.8 (which will work with CS6 but not CS5). I don't use Light Room, sorry, so I don't know about LR version.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

yeah i have older verison cause i download it for free but i mange to sort it out thanks to everybody

Unless these were Betas of lightroom and photoshop, possible for lightroom, unlikely for photoshop, DO NOT PIRATE SOFTWARE.

Announcements