cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What camera do you reccomend?

KristiElisa
Apprentice

I am getting back into photography and am still shooting with the Canon Rebel T1i. I shoot mostly engagment and baby photos. What camera do you reccomend I purchase. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel T6. Is this a good model or should I look into something else?

6 REPLIES 6

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@KristiElisa wrote:

I am getting back into photography and am still shooting with the Canon Rebel T1i. I shoot mostly engagment and baby photos. What camera do you reccomend I purchase. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel T6. Is this a good model or should I look into something else?

You have to identify what the short comings are for you with the T1i. Once you decide where your current camera is letting you down, then you'll know your path forward. You should have a back up camera if you are doing professional work. So you probably should get a new camera. But, lenses and lighting (flashes, strobes, reflectors) usually provide more improvement than a new camera.

@TTMartin wrote:

@KristiElisa wrote:

You have to identify what the short comings are for you with the T1i. Once you decide where your current camera is letting you down, then you'll know your path forward. You should have a back up camera if you are doing professional work. So you probably should get a new camera. But, lenses and lighting (flashes, strobes, reflectors) usually provide more improvement than a new camera.

As I recall, the T1i didn't make much of a splash. The big jump was to the T2i, which was the first of the "T" series to have the very nice 18MP sensor that was used in Rebels and various mid-range Canon DSLRs for several years thereafter. If the OP's camera were a T2i, I think I'd agree with you. As it is, I think she probably would benefit significantly from a new camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"I think she probably would benefit significantly from a new camera."

Almost common sense.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@KristiElisa wrote:

New lenses do make for dramatic improvements in IQ.  But, your camera is old, and is becoming obsolete with the newer operating systems and software packages, assuming that it hasn't already reached that point.  Upgrading your camera body just may be the wiser move, instead of upgrading lenses.  It would really depend on how you post-process your photos.

The T6 is a big improvement over the T1i, but a mediocre camera by today's DSLR standards.  All Rebel cameras have their design/build limitations.  The biggest strike against the T6/T5 is low light performance, and the lack of a microphone input if you wish to shoot video.  The T6/T5 can take great photos, with capable lenses.  The camera kit lenses that come with the T6/T5 cameras are not great lenses.  And, you cannot buy the T6 camera body by itself, as new.

I suggest you save up for a T6s/T6i, if you plan to purchase withing the next year.  After that [2018], Canon just may have well introduced a new Rebel that far surpasses the T6x camera bodies.

What is your budget?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

KristiElisa,

If you have a Rebel T1, just about any current camera is going to be a big improvement and upgrade.  I would spring for the T6i though.  If you are really serious about, "I shoot mostly engagment and baby photos", I would even start looking at the 7D Mk II or 6D.  If it is just a part time hobby thingy, then the T6i will do very nicely.  Plus it will use any and all of your current lenses.

Which brings us to lenses!  You might want to check out this one. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. You will be happy with it also for what you are shooting.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

T6i, I agree.  T2i through T5i had the same sensor and saw only minimal incremental improvements from model to model.  The T6i, however, took a big leap with a new sensor and new autofocus system.

I don't think babies present a particularly challenging autofocus challenge, as they don't move very fast.  Nor are they frequently found out of doors in inclement weather, nor do they typically participate in fast sports, so I don't think spending extra for a rugged weathersealed fast sports 7d2 crop camera is going to be money well spent for your use.  

If you had enough budget to spend on all new lenses, you might see some benefit from going from a crop camera to a full frame camera to help you in low light situations.  The entry level full frame 6d would do fine for babies and weddings.  It costs about $1,200.00 but you would also have to get full frame lenses, so it could get rather expensive.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements