cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CF Card Compatibility - EOS 30D (2006)

trossit
Enthusiast

I recently purchased a used EOS 30D from ebay and was interested iin CF card compatibilty. The camera came with a SanDisk Exteme III, 30 mb/s, 8GB.  I want to see if a larger newer card is still compatible.  Would a San Disk Extreme, 120 mb/s, 32GB work in this 2006 camera?  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Lotus7
Rising Star

As I recall, the 30D uses Canon File System 2.0.  If your camera is an early production model which has not had its firmware updated and is still running the Firmware V 1.0, and you format the CF card in the camera, it may only recognize 8GB of the card's capacity.  If the firmware has been updated to V. 1.06 (or possibly V. 1.05), it should be able to recognize the full 32 GB capacity of the CF card you mention.  In fact it should be able to accept a CF card of up to 64 GB. 

If you format the card in the camera and it only shows a capacity of "888 RAW" images (or less) the work around is to externally format the card in a computer using FAT 32 to realize the full card capacity. Ideally, updating the firmware and formatting in the camera is better.

Additionally, the newer, faster card will greatly speed up image transfers to your computer if you use an external USB-2 or USB-3 CF card reader.

View solution in original post

Especially note the shaded box at the bottom

Untitled.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@trossit wrote:

I recently purchased a used EOS 30D from ebay and was interested iin CF card compatibilty. The camera came with a SanDisk Exteme III, 30 mb/s, 8GB.  I want to see if a larger newer card is still compatible.  Would a San Disk Extreme, 120 mb/s, 32GB work in this 2006 camera?  

It might.  If the 8GB card works, stick with that.  The more expensive card will not cause the camera to read/write faster.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Lotus7
Rising Star

As I recall, the 30D uses Canon File System 2.0.  If your camera is an early production model which has not had its firmware updated and is still running the Firmware V 1.0, and you format the CF card in the camera, it may only recognize 8GB of the card's capacity.  If the firmware has been updated to V. 1.06 (or possibly V. 1.05), it should be able to recognize the full 32 GB capacity of the CF card you mention.  In fact it should be able to accept a CF card of up to 64 GB. 

If you format the card in the camera and it only shows a capacity of "888 RAW" images (or less) the work around is to externally format the card in a computer using FAT 32 to realize the full card capacity. Ideally, updating the firmware and formatting in the camera is better.

Additionally, the newer, faster card will greatly speed up image transfers to your computer if you use an external USB-2 or USB-3 CF card reader.

Thanks Lotus.  Do you know of a way to determine which version of Firmware is in my 30D?

Especially note the shaded box at the bottom

Untitled.jpg

Thanks KV....this room is such a big help.

It looks like I have version 1.06

You too, could download the manual and search it for "Firmware".

Looks like I have Version 1.06...great!! Thanks.

I cannot find the upgrade firmware for Canon 30D.   When I searched the support site it returned zero results for 30D firmware.

Any ideas?

Hi there! 

The EOS 30D was retired 10 years ago. When a product is retired, the firmware is removed from the site. This is because Canon no longer has parts to repair the product, and if something were to go wrong during a firmware flash, we can't fix it.

Announcements