cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Screen Protector for EOS M50?

Far-Out-Dude
Rising Star
Rising Star

345909588_194217843495819_8907308472674451979_n.jpg344877792_5788717961232282_2181628552220572445_n.jpgWhat would be the best screen protector for my Canon eos M50? After the damage to my screen in May and having to put out close to $300.00 USD to get it fixed I am looking for a better screen protector than I did have on it as it clearly did not do it's job. (Though I am not sure any would have where the impact happened on the screen)

17 REPLIES 17

It was a very unexpected thing, I arrived that morning and found somebody else's gear in my blind, I did not know what was going on at the time and was a little taken aback so I was not paying attention as well as I should have, as I said above, it was my fault but to be perfectly honest I did not know if the firearm was loaded or not and I would rather my camera be damaged than my life ended or changed again. I agree, something from the center post helps for sure, I have a sandbag just for that but did not bring it with me in the backpack since it was a bit of a walk in, again, my fault. That said can you suggest a good screen protector for my camera? Thank you much. Edit: I reread your comment and didn't know if you had seen my one reply above but it was not unattended, it would have been better in this case if it had as I hit it with my butt and that is what knocked it over.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All who have replied just want a good outcome for you.  We understand the whole experience was upsetting, and your response wasn't meant to be offensive.  You won't hurt your screen if you apply a screen protector, but it might reduce touch sensitivity slightly.  Any good tempered glass LCD screen protector could work.  B&H and Amazon both sell them.  Just measure the screen.  I don't use them myself, but I do use canned air when applying them for friends or clients.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I believe all but one fits that bill, one insults people constantly, I have seen him called on it before. I thank you for answering the question and giving a reason for why it may not be a good idea, that is what I had been hoping for.

I'm not big on screen protectors for other devices (e.g. cell phones), but I did put one on my M50's screen and haven't found that it inhibits the touchscreen functionality at all, which I would have noticed since I use Touch & Drag extensively.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

While we can interpret criticism as damaging and distressing, you could tend to look for positivity in my comments too. I found used in mint condition M50 Mk II cameras for under $500. You could have checked Canon refurbs too.

You think you are the only one that lives on a fixed income you are badly mistaken my friend. People make decisions and put things in priority all on themselves. The insult comes form asking for advice and then not liking it by trying to disparage the advisor. I stand by my advice, "I wouldn't put a LCD screen protector on a M50 or any camera for that matter."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Of course I do not think I am the only person that is on a fixed income, the question in and of itself is preposterous. As far as refurbs/used I learned a long time ago when it comes to electronics in particular refurbs/used definition is "Somebody else's problem" I do not buy used electronics unless I know the person and how they treated them very well and even then I prefer not to mix money with friendship/family, it almost always leads to problems.

Now if perhaps you had phrased it more like say "I am not sure it would/was a good idea to put more money into that camera if you could have avoided it" I do not think I would have taken offense at all, it was the way you presented your thoughts along with the fact that I have seen you do the same to others here that I took offense.

Dude you know your stuff, there is no argument there at all and you have given me good advise in my first thread I made here and I completely appreciate that and it was indeed helpful so thank you. Just look at the way you are wording things and try to figure if they are offensive or not. I have to, I am incredibly blunt and it tends to make most people angry, but I have learned to try to be blunt while being polite at the same time, I get better results and get people to think about what I am saying. (Well some people just need a slap in the face with words but not often)

Let's just call this done and over with, I do not need for it to go on. How are you liking your R6? It is one I am considering for wildlife and landscape if all goes well by April.

Thank you very much, is there one name brand you feel is better than another? Have you ever used a skin on your camera? I am thinking of grabbing one to protect the body.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I put screen protectors on my cameras for the same reason I put quality clear glass filters on my smaller lens, I do a lot of sports shooting and with a piece of relatively inexpensive glass I don't worry about wiping that off with whatever is handy during the rain.  It avoids putting a scratch on something more expensive.

But the camera screen protector isn't like a phone screen protector which will often prevent damage from a drop/fall.  Even a small camera with lens weighs enough that the energy/impact from a drop/fall will overwhelm the protective abilities of a thin piece of tempered glass.  But it may well protect the screen from the slight bumps that can occur inside an equipment case or out in the world.  I took a brand new 5DS R out to a geode hunting site several years ago and a pebble bounced down from a cliff side and as it bounced down it hit perfectly to deflect from the cliff side to hit and crack my newly installed screen protector but the screen itself was fine.  So in that case I am fairly confident it helped but had I dropped the camera on the rocks below the screen protector wouldn't have helped.

Most screen protectors will come in a set of three protectors with little packs containing a cleaning and a drying "towel".  Start by throwing those packs away, the cleaning substance is probably alcohol but it is usually mostly dried out and both towels produce instead of removing lint.  Use good quality high proof isopropyl alcohol to clean the screen prior to installation and dry it thoroughly, use lens tissue or cloth for both operations.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements