cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner-- is this a good set-up?

uffie
Apprentice

Okay I say I'm a beginner but I've been at uni for three years studying film production and have played around with the Canon C300 A LOT but obviously there are major differences to the DSLRs...

Anyways, I've decided to purchase a Canon 5D m3 and the lenses that I've picked within my budget are:

70-200mm f/4.0 

50mm f/1.8

and the kit lens 24-105mm

I also own a Nikon 18-105mm that was for my old D90 so if I could find an adapter that would take that lens on the 5D, should I not bother with the kit lens and go for a 24mm instead?

I take stills occasionally but I think I'd mainly be using this camera for filming. Please help me out, I still feel like a total newbie when it comes to what lenses I should pick!

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it were me, ...

" 70-200mm f/4.0                                     Smiley Happy

50mm f/1.8                                               get the 50mm f1.4 better all around lens

and the kit lens 24-105mm "                     Smiley Happy

"... own a Nikon 18-105m ... if I could find an adapter ..."            Smiley Sad   Yes, do nix this idea.

"... not bother with the kit lens and go for a 24mm instead?"            I would prefer the 24-105mm f4L to a prime 24mm.

The EOS 5D Mk III is an excellent camera but remember it is a still DSLR.  Not a video camera.  However, it's abilities in video are fantastic and outstanding quality.  But it is not a C300.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you so much for your help!!

Haha ideally I'd love a video camera, especially ones that shoot RAW but DSLRs are easier when backpacking and stuff which is what I'm doing for the next year... I'm going to miss that C300!!

@uffie, If I were shopping for a DSLR-format camera that excels at video, I'm not sure I'd make the 5D Mk III my first stop. This is the sort of camera for folks that have mastered the craft of photography (sure, anyone with a bank roll can and will buy one) and are very appreciative of the rich feature-set the camera offers.

If I were shopping a camera to make video with, I'd probably start with something that could record 4k video to help protect against obselecence. I'm not even conviced I'd shop within the Canon system unless I had already acquired the Canon lenses.

Just my $.02.

amfoto1
Authority

I would hardly call that a "beginner" setup. It's more like a "very advanced" setup.

Spend less on the camera and more on lenses.

For example, the 70D is a crop sensor camera (but a couple years newer model than the 5D Mark III) with some features that are especially useful for videography (articulated LCD screen, Dual Pixel auto focus and more). It's also a bit smaller and lighter weight for backpacking. Not to mention about $2000 less.

The 70D is still a quite advanced camera. It's a step above the entry level "Rebel" series and a step below the premium crop 7D (in some respects, the four year newer 70D is ahead of the 7D... in other ways, it's not).

With that money saved on the camera body, ratchet up what you get in the way of lenses.

200/4 IS, or get the 70-200/2.8 IS II if the size and weight are okay with you. 

With 70D, for a shorter zoom I'd choose either the EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS (for it's f2.8)  or EF-S 15-85mm (for it's wider than typical range of focal lengths) or the EF 24-70/2.8L  II (premium quality and priced accordingly, though might want/need a wider EF-S 10-22mm or the new EF-S 10-18mm STM to complement it).  

Yes, definitely get the EF 50/1.4 instead of the 50/1.8. The EF 50/1.8 II is Canon's cheapest lens... decent optically, but it's AF is kinda pokey and general build quality is very entry level. The 50/1.4 is about 3X the cost, but generally well worth it.

However, if you get a crop sensor camera instead fo the full  frame, you actually might want a wider lens, such as EF 28/1.8 (which is a nice, compact "normal" lens on a crop camera).  A 50mm lens behaves as a "short telephoto" on a crop sensor camera... which can be great if it's what you want, such as a portrait lens.

Sell the D90 and Nikkor, unless you want to keep them. Don't bother adapting the 18-105mm (there are adapters available, but it will not auto focus, will be manual focus only. But, worse, there will be no way to control the aperture... you'll have to shoot it wide open all the time.)

If you don't already have one, you also might consider putting some $ toward a really nice tripod. That's often a necessity for vidography.

I shoot stills almost exclusively... But similar to the above response, I am not really sure I'd be looking at a DSLR if my main purpose were shooting video. Sure, it can be very nice to have the option to capture a vid occasionally, and there are some special effects possible with a DSLR... but not sure I'd want it as my "main" video camera.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements