cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding duplicate image numbers?

Merrill
Apprentice

I have a rebel xsi and have purchased the eos 70d.  When using both cameras, how can I avoid duplicate image numbers? Is there a way to change the numbering system to add a prefix, ex: EOS70D 1000, 1001?

2 REPLIES 2

Skirball
Authority

Some of the higher level cameras offer the option to change the filename, but I don't know if the 70D offers this.  The XSI doesn't.  However, if you use a PP program like Lightroom you can rename the files on import and include reference to the camera if you want.  However, if you use Lightroom, I think you'll find you don't really care what the filenames are anymore...

amfoto1
Authority

I often shoot with 2 or 3 cameras and have duplicate file names.

I just don't worry about it. I use a simple drag and drop method in Windows Explorer to move all my images into a single folder, and whenever there's a duplicate image number Explorer asks if I want to replace the existing file or keep both. When I click "keep both" it automatically adds a suffix to the second (or third) image with the same file name, to prevent any conflicts or over-writing.

Later I import to Lightroom and then rename everything anyway (YYYY_MM_DD_xxxx), so I don't care about the temporary file names assigned by the camera or by Windows.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements