cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner camera for surf photography?

vomenbin
Apprentice

Hey folks! Been lightly into photography on and off over the years but looking to make it a more regular hobby. Any recommendations for a setup not much over $1,000? I was looking at an EOS 50 package with a 55-210mm lens, but not sure if there are any drawbacks I might not be thinking of. I used a friends Nikon Z50 with a 50-250mm lens and was able to take some good (to my eye) photos a few years ago. Just thinkinh through this as I type, I guess overall I would have liked to have been able to have a bit more zoom, but it was nearly there. Maybe I'd go with a body only and a different lens?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings

Since you are just starting out and have budget, I'd recommend the R50 or above.  

The R50 and R10 are both popular starter body's.  You might pair with the RF-S 55-210 or RF-S 18-150.  Both would compliment either body.  I'm recommending mirrorless because it simply outperforms DSLRs.  It's current technology, and will continue to receive development.  Mirrorless body's can focus faster and perform better in low light.

This is not to say you can't take nice pictures with a DSLR, but investing in that technology now will not give you the same longevity or return on your investment.  

A tripod is probably something else you should look at.  You'll also need a couple of memory cards and spare batteries.  

It's very important that you buy directly from Canon or an authorized retailer.  Avoid the Amazon marketplace eBay or sites that seemingly have deals which are too good to be true.  You don't want to buy counterfeit or gray market gear.  

Canon has a great refurbished store.  Refurbished items cost a little less and come with the same One-year warranty as brand new.   Take your time. Ask questions. We can help you with your purchase decision.  

Cameras in the price range you are shopping in will have the same image quality.  Features are what you gain or lose as you spend more or less money.  Many of these features are things you will appreciate as your photography improves.  Body's come and go.  Lenses are your real investment with photography.  

Are there any other types of photography you're interested in besides sports/surfing?  Portraits wildlife, landscapes.  The lens I recommended  offers a balance between wide angle and telephoto.  It offers above average image quality for landscapes, portraits with some additional reach to bring you closer to the action.  The 55-210 is another good starter lens.  It has a little more reach, but doesn't get as wide.  Light gathering capability is less than a stop so pretty much negligible.  Other lenses which may be of interest to you are the RF 100-400, and the Sigma or Tamron 150-600c or G2.  The two latter lenses are EF mount and require an adapter to be used on a mirrorless body.  These might be down the road options for you to consider.  

Below is a comparison between the R50 and R10

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-R50-vs-Canon-EOS-R10

Other options exist depending on your budget and what you are looking to achieve.  We're happy to help guide you and answer any questions.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

terry8
Apprentice

The EOS R is going for about a grand right now used. Might consider that camera - it changed my world when I got that camera just two years ago. Within a year I upgraded to an R6 and I'm making plans now to get the new R5. But that original R is still a GREAT camera. Might want to wait a few months as people will be dumping their cameras in order to get the new R5 and R1. Great advice too from Rick above. Might want to reach out to him. 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Ken Rockwell did really well with an R7 and EF 100-400:

https://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-r/r7.htm

Note that the large number of pixels (32 MP) allow for a lot of cropping, as demonstrated.

Announcements