cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto focus issues. 7D MKii

dayaghana84
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I have a Canon 7D Mkii that I've had for a couple years now. I put it away for about 7 months and didn't use it. I picked it up again and went and did some photography today.
For some reason my auto focus won't work, with all 3 of my lenses. But even stranger it will auto focus in video mode but not in camera mode. I have carefully cleaned the contacts on the camera, I have made sure that my AF button is assigned to "metering and AF start" and my lenses don't make any noise when my camera is saying it's auto focusing.

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

What happens if you switch the mode dial to the Green Square A+ position and try to take a photo?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@dayaghana84 wrote:

"my lenses don't make any noise when my camera is saying it's auto focusing."

My cameras don't say anything when they auto focus. In "one shot" AF mode the red square lights up when it achieves focus, but nothing really happens in the camera while it is trying to focus. Please explain what you mean. 

They might not be working properly but most STM or USM lenses are near silent, so listening for noise probably isn't a good indication that they are working. 

Which lenses do you have? 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements