cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any tips on what I can do better?

Sjl755
Contributor
So over the summer I got into photography, I went to a wedding down in Georgia and used my aunts Canon 70D. I feel like some of these pictures came out good. I am going to be getting the canon rebel t6 for Christmas. Anyways I was wondering if I could get any feedback to see how I can improve my photography skills. Here's a link to the pictures:
http://m.imgur.com/a/1Qalo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

What we cannot see is what settings you used to capture the images.  

As a sort of universal starting point... it helps to learn about "exposure".  I usually do not shoot with my camera in 'manual' mode most of the time... but forcing yourself to learn to shoot in that mode is one of the best ways to learn.  I'd suggest picking up a good book on the topic such as Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

Exposure doesn't just control how bright or dark an image looks... it controls whether or not you can 'freeze action' ... or cause a deliberately blur (often handy when you're trying to "imply" motion in a still image).  It controls whether or not everything seems to be in focus (such as a landscape photo where the overall scene is generally pretty sharp) or whether you selectively make just one part of the image sharp with a deliberately blurred background (common for portraits.)  

As you learn about "exposure" and what you can do with it, you quickly realize that it's an artistic tool for creativity.  If you use the camera in automatic mode you will general get pictures that look like what you might get with a point & shoot camera (nice snapshots, but lacking an artistic look.)

There is more... there's the topic of "composition" and the topic of "lighting"... but I'd start with the basics of exposure and work from there (one thing at a time.)

The camera is a powerful tool ... but like a musical instrument, it takes some work to learn how to use it to it's potential.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"As far as WB adjustment goes, there is nothing wrong with the photo."

What color was the street?   When you put yourself up for critique or example, you must expect criticism.  The WB is not just off, it is way off.

I dunno, Ernie. It's pretty late in the afternoon; look how long the shadows are. It's not implausible that the ambient light is that red. Yes, you could correct some of the redness out, with the justification that that's what the human eye tends to do anyway. But it's a perfectly valid artistic judgement not to.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

What color was the street?   When you put yourself up for critique or example, you must expect criticism.  The WB is not just off, it is way off.

I dunno, Ernie. It's pretty late in the afternoon; look how long the shadows are. It's not implausible that the ambient light is that red. Yes, you could correct some of the redness out, with the justification that that's what the human eye tends to do anyway. But it's a perfectly valid artistic judgement not to.

Good call.  Actually, it was morning sun, and it still had not risen [7 AM] very high in the sky by around 9 AM when the photo was shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

B form B

"It's pretty late in the afternoon; look how long the shadows are."

Yeah, I saw that and I agree. I assumed it was early but that is not a good reason to not balance it out.  You know my thoughts. Sometime real is not what you want, a good photo is.  This one screams WB adjustment.

Beside needing some exposure adjustment and crop, it isn't that good for an example on how to do things. IMHO, graciously as always.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Brownish.  There is a large construction site directly behind me.  They've dug a 100x100 foot hole that's about 20 feet deep

"Of course the first shot is better (though I might have trimmed a bit off the top and bottom). But I don't for a minute accept the proposition that a prime lens is a better compositional vehicle, or even a better teaching vehicle, than a zoom. Indeed, I think it's precisely the opposite. A zoom lens allows (forces?) you to confront the available options of inclusion and perspective while actually taking the picture in a way that a prime lens can only approximate.

Yes, with a prime you can include more than you probably need and finalize your composition via cropping in post. But that's sub-optimal. It's what we did in the old days when prime lenses were good and zooms were, at best, mediocre. But that's no longer true, and I simply can't see the artistic purpose of foregoing the power and ease of use of a zoom. If one's initial impulse is to zoom in too far, that says only that one doesn't know how to use a zoom. It doesn't say that a prime is a better tool because you can't zoom it in."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are going to have to agree to disagree on the merits of learning photography with a zoom or a prime.  When I use a prime lens I have to think a little more about what I am capturing.  Not so with a zoom, not until I run up against the limit of the zoom range.  If one has a habit of zooming in too far, that says you don't know how to compose a shot.

I crop most of my photos, but somehow misssed the guy on the edge with the camera.  I do shoot photos with the intention of cropping them down slightly, most especially when I am not using a tripod.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements