cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a new camera?

Q-Mama
Contributor
I have had many AF issues with my 5D Mark III (two years old) and the service center said they fixed the issue, but the AF is awful and still doesn’t work right. Every other image is blurry.

I’ve read similar issues with AF in reviews on B&H and the Canon site. I thought about switching to a Mark IV, but reviews are saying many have AF issues, too. Ready to give up and switch brands...thinking Leica...

Any advice? I just want sharp images and a reliable camera.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Q-Mama wrote:
I have had many AF issues with my 5D Mark III (two years old) and the service center said they fixed the issue, but the AF is awful and still doesn’t work right. Every other image is blurry.

I’ve read similar issues with AF in reviews on B&H and the Canon site. I thought about switching to a Mark IV, but reviews are saying many have AF issues, too. Ready to give up and switch brands...thinking Leica...

Any advice? I just want sharp images and a reliable camera.

I have both a Mark III and a Mark IV and have never had any such issues.

As for the Leica: If you're rich enough, go for it! Methinks it's designed for those who put image ahead of functionality. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Q-Mama
Contributor
Understood. I used another camera and the images came out perfect every time.... believe me, it took a while for me to say it was the equipment.

Canon identified twice there was an issue with the AF... so I know that is the exact issue.

I read reviews for the Mark IV and others experienced AF issues. Trying to find a good Canon camera with no big AF issues... coming up empty.

@Q-Mama wrote:
Trying to find a good Canon camera with no big AF issues... coming up empty.

Thread should be marked as Solved. 

"Canon identified twice there was an issue with the AF... so I know that is the exact issue."

Not wanting to beat a dead horse as it seems your mind is made up but what "exactly" was the issue Canon found, "twice"?

" I used another camera and the images came out perfect every time."

Not a confirming or condemning fact. Still trying to find the answer and solution for you so any further info will be helpful. Do keep your mind open. It is easy to blame the gear and not so easy to blame yourself.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Canon identified twice there was an issue with the AF... so I know that is the exact issue."

Not wanting to beat a dead horse as it seems your mind is made up but what "exactly" was the issue Canon found, "twice"?

Not a confirming or condemning fact. Still trying to find the answer and solution for you so any further info will be helpful. Do keep your mind open. It is easy to blame the gear and not so easy to blame yourself.

Did you notice that she said the camera had been dropped?  The problems began after it had been dropped.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, I did but I assumed it was fixed since it went to Canon two times? I strongly suggest it is not the camera but the hardest thing it to do is admit it was the person and not the gear. If the drop was after two visits to Canon all bets are off. But this person said no Canon camera they looked at, had good AF characteristics. You and I both know that is ridiculous.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Did you notice that she said the camera had been dropped?  The problems began after it had been dropped.

Where was the note about it being dropped? I see it in one of your replies, but I can't find it in any of the OP's posts. She said something about another thread. Is that where it was? If it really did happen before the problems appeared, I agree that it's probably the cause.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Where was the note about it being dropped? I see it in one of your replies, but I can't find it in any of the OP's posts. She said something about another thread. Is that where it was? If it really did happen before the problems appeared, I agree that it's probably the cause.

Yes, the "dropped" comment was in the other thread she mentioned.  Sample photos are posted, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Q-Mama
Contributor
Thank you! I rented another camera and had zero AF issues... with that said, I’m pretty certain it wasn’t me.

Canon Service also identified there was an AF issue... the same one they repaired prior.
Announcements