cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for using camera gear on the beach

nehhet
Apprentice

So I’m going to an event this weekend called The race of gentleman. Should I expose my camera to the elements. I plan on only keeping my rf100-500 on my r6 mii and not changing the lens. Should I use a cheaper lens like my 24-105 f4 or don’t bring a camera at all. It’s supposed to be sunny and mid 70’s I’ve shot by the water plenty of times but never a prolonged amount of time like this. Maybe 3-4 hrs.

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Only you can answer this question.  I'm usually cautious and avoid lens changes in unfriendly conditions where possible..  If there's no wind and it's going to be still, it's not a big deal shooting at the beach.  I've had my camera to the beach many times with no ill effects.  If it's windy enough to blow sand around, I won't do it.  If I was going to be around people playing volleyball I would do so from a distance.  Sea spray is the same. You can be near the water and take photos safely.  I also gently wipe down my camera every night after it's been used.  So it is stored clean ready for its next adventure.  If you have to apply sunscreen, bring wet wipes for your hands.  They are also helpful for food if you don't have a place to wash your hands.  Taking reasonable precautions goes a long way.

Sand and playa dust are two things you will never get out of your camera.  If you are in doubt, you can always use a mobile device.  If you do notice sand or foreign debris, Canon offers cleaning and maintenance services.  I'm not telling you not to bring your camera to the beach.  A camera is made to be used, so again just be mindful of the conditions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Camera gear is made to use. If you can't use it or are afraid to use it what the heck good is it? My gear does what I want or I get something that will.

I have shot beach scenes while standing in the Atlantic ocean water up to my waist. I have shot in the desert southwest and the frozen north. The gear goes with me but of course it is wise to use some common sense, too.

However now in my advanced age I consider whether I can stand the environment or conditions and if that is a yes, then the camera gear can. 😁

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

As my colleague Ernie said, you have to manage risk and use your gear.  The R6 series has decent weather sealing as does both the RF lenses you mention, but they do extend, so...

Really, the wind is going to be your worst enemy.  If it's windy, and blowing from the sea, that will blow both sand and salt air a considerable distance inland.  Even if it's blowing off-shore, you may get sand coming the other way. 
The following image shows the salt and sand laden air blowing way inland
5d4-Muriwai 002.jpg

For me, this is where I would definitely use a good quality front protect filter: for environmental threats such as airborne particles, that is the filter's forté.  As to the rest of the camera, if in doubt, as simple a thing as a plastic bag even an bread bag (sans bread! 😊) with a hole cut for the front of the lens at the (normally) closed end of the bag, and the open end to your face would mostly protect from other particles, especially coming in via lens extension.

If you are hefting the body and lens for a considerable time, I would take a camera bag or holster and have the camera in that - removing it only when you absolutely need it and, as Rick said, make sure you have clean hands, so water-based wet wipes and a dry cloth would be a good idea. For hydration, I take water and avoid sticky drinks.  Definitely, going through a thorough cleaning process afterwards is a wise precaution.  I often have a very small paint brush to dust off the body from time to time in dubious conditions.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements