cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90d too dark in HDR

Jlames
Enthusiast

I’m really having issues with the 90d In-camera HDR. My subject is an interior room in afternoon light with large windows for natural light. Using a manual lens, I’m setting up for AV assuming if I set the ISO to 100 and the f-stop to 8, I’ll only need to be concerned with shutter speed. Using spot metering, I note that the dark is coming in at 0”8 and the bright is at 1/5, I’ve set up for both 3 and 5-shots at +-2ev and the resulting hdr image in both shots come out well-exposed for the highlights but too dark in the remaining areas. Am I doing something wrong or is the hdr function known for this?

Sent from my iPad

62 REPLIES 62

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Why are you using Spot Metering mode?  I would think Evaluative Metering would work better.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was spotting to see what the recommended ss readings were in the dark areas and the light ones to see what the camera was calculating in its choices of automatically setting the bracketed shots.

My understanding is the in Av mode, the aperture and iso are set and the camera chooses what it thinks the ss should be

@Jlames wrote:

My understanding is the in Av mode, the aperture and iso are set and the camera chooses what it thinks the ss should be

The camera will set +/- 1 Ev, or whatever bracketing you set up.  It is based on the initial "normal" exposure.

The camera does not automatically set the bracketed shots.  You do.  

Yes, I tell it I want x-number of shots x-Evs apart.

But it chooses the ss or am I missing something?

@Jlames wrote:

But it chooses the ss or am I missing something?

The camera does not "choose the shutter speeds."  They are calculated from the initial exposure.

I am willing to bet that the "spot" that you used to meter the scene came out perfectly in the HDR composite.

Announcements