cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90d: Photos over exposed (double iso) when shooting in non live view mode

vizualequalizer
Contributor

I have a Canon eos 90d and the photos are over exposed when shooting in non live view mode (when switching back-and-forth between live view and viewfinder modes; the ISO doubles), or another words looking through the viewfinder, the ISO will double. There's no exposure addition or subtraction on exposure stops. I am confused please help!

39 REPLIES 39

Thanks for all the help.

I am reposting the photos, they should be downloadable. 

I did notice the flicker alert going off when I shot the one in the OVF (Optical View Finder). 

Notice in live view the ISO was 400 and in OVF ISO is 1600. 

live view is IMG_0315 and OVF is IMG_0316

IMG_0315.JPGIMG_0316.JPG

John had asked if you had used ISO Auto, and you replied that you did in a few different modes.  All of those modes allow the camera to control 2 out of the 3 legs of the Exposure Triangle.  The camera my increast the ISO, but also change another setting to balance the expoxure.

You also shot handheld, which means the locked in focus point may have been different.  For Evalluative Metering, this last can make a difference in how the camera may meter a similar scene.  I did my shooting tests from a tiripod, and I would assume that John did the same.

I suggest that you take another set of test shots under more controlled conditions.  Use a tripod,  Because I used Av mode, which is the same as what John had used, I dialed in ISO 800 so the camera only controls the shutter speed.

If you wish to test ISO Auto, then use M mode.  Take a test shot using P mode, and then use those shutter speeds and apertrue settings similar to your test shot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Appreciate all the feedback.

I would just like to throw in, that in the P mode, ISO set at 800, I've tried all the different metering modes, but it seems like for whatever reason, in OVF mode the camera is adding significant exposure. 

I've never encountered an issue like this in all my years shooting. My intuition tells me that it is setting somewhere in the menus. I am trouble shooting and holding everything constant whilst adjusting only one variable. But I haven't found the issue.

I find it interesting that in OVF mode the camera is adding that much exposure on it's own. I get that between the two VIEWING modes, there is a diefference in the way it meters. 

In the P mode, holding ISO constant at 800 and the aperterure at F1.8 in live view the SS is at 1/60. In OVF (same constants ISO 800 and F1.8) the SS is 1/6. 

I am most curious as to why!??

P.S. Also surprising is that seems like an isolated incident, as know one else here (so far) or from I'm researching online really has had the same issue. I will try and reset the camera's factory settings.

Whenever you think the camera is acting strange you should reset the camera to factory settings. It will clear any inadvertent settings. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Whenever you think the camera is acting strange you should reset the camera to factory settings."

This is where and what you needed to do from the start.  You have set something either on purpose or accidentally wrong. You need a total reset of the 90D.  Menus, tools, clear all settings and also clear all custom settings. Trying to troubleshoot something when you don't know if you are starting from ground zero is a fools errand.

So, reset the 90D.  Set it to P mode, fix ISO to 200. Use just the center focus point and One shot. WB set to daylight. Now go outside on a sunny day a take several general shots.  Make sure you have some vertical lines in some of them. Like trees, a fence or buildings, etc.  It the 90D makes the great photos it is capable of the camera is working correctly.  This means you set something incorrectly for the photos in question.

Keep in mind how you meter something can drastically affect the outcome.  Spot metering is vastly different than evaluative for instance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Whenever you think the camera is acting strange you should reset the camera to factory settings."

This is where and what you needed to do from the start. 

The camera has already been reset and cleared.  No change.  Same behavior.  Using Evaluative Metering, too.

I've long had the same frustration. When using auto ISO, I think my pictures are coming out too light.

Here's two picture taken seconds apart. I'm using aperture priority - F8 in both.

In the first, the exposure meter is reading 0 - right in the middle. The camera has set a shutter speed of 1/320 and an ISO of 1000.

For the second pictrue, I dropped the expossure compensation by 1/3 of a stop. The camera dropped the shutter speed to 1/250 and set the ISO to 640.

I think the first picture is too light, or overexposed, or whatever.

These were taken handlheld using the OVF in both.

field1.jpg

field2.jpg

Steve Thomas

@stevet1 wrote:

I've long had the same frustration. When using auto ISO, I think my pictures are coming out too light.

Here's two picture taken seconds apart. I'm using aperture priority - F8 in both.

In the first, the exposure meter is reading 0 - right in the middle. The camera has set a shutter speed of 1/320 and an ISO of 1000.

For the second pictrue, I dropped the expossure compensation by 1/3 of a stop. The camera dropped the shutter speed to 1/250 and set the ISO to 640.

I think the first picture is too light, or overexposed, or whatever.

These were taken handlheld using the OVF in both.

field1.jpg

field2.jpg

Steve Thomas

Do not use ISO Auto in Tv or Av modes.  Always dial in an ISO when using those modes.  Never let the camera control more than none leg of the Expousre Triangle.

Also, you may want to try disabling Safety Shift, too.  Be cognizant of what metering mode you are using.  Evaluative gets a lot criticism, but it is the best mode to use for general photography using 1-pt AF.

[EDIT]. When are you locking exposure?  If you don't know, then don't blame the camera.

"The camera has already been reset and cleared.  No change.  Same behavior.  Using Evaluative Metering, too."

This is why you do the outdoor test in addition to resetting it.  Just resetting the camera doesn't tell you the camera is working properly. If the test with basic settings proves to produce properly exposed pictures there is nothing wrong with the camera and some other setting you made is wrong.

EB

"Do not use ISO Auto in Tv or Av modes.  Always dial in an ISO when using those modes.  Never let the camera control more than none leg of the Expousre Triangle."

And, most likely the "wrong setting" and why the full reset and outdoor test is important.  When troubleshooting you need to know you are starting from ground zero. Otherwise you will just chase your tail, so to speak.

EB
Announcements