cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Live view - How to get the Grid of Thirds???

etermel
Contributor

Hi Community,

I've had my 70D for such a long time, and a year and a half ago I upgraded to the 90D, but somehow kept procrastinating on using it as I gradually found out some of my favorite features were gone through the upgrade, so I kept just using the 70D, easier, quicker, (but heavier). So last week, I had to finally use my 90D. And browsing the internet for quite a while to find how to rotate the picture on the viewfinder, (I kept trying to activate it, while actually I was deactivating it :-S), and how to add my grid of thirds on the viewfinder was one thing  BUT I never found how to add the grid of thirds on the LIVE view! There is a grid, but those lines are not thirds for sure. I am not only frustrated but shocked that such a basic feature is so hard to figure out. Please can anyone help? Is there an update I need to do? What am I missing. Thank you for any kind of guidance you can bring me. 

20 REPLIES 20

rs-eos
Elite

It's indeed possible.  See pages 539 and 540 of the User Manual.  One of the options for "Grid display" is "3 x 3".

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

So I uploaded the manual and got to that page but somehow my settings are different. 
I have no choice besides show or hide. See screenshot. 
I’m thinking there may be an update I need to do? I have never done that though… so wouldn’t know where to start. 

IMG_4738.jpeg

What mode is the mode dial in. Usually you get more advanced options in the creative zone ie (M, Av, Tv & P) modes. Also check which firmware is on the camera. Usually Canon's online manuals have the most up to date firmware. If your using an older firmware revision some settings may not be there. The most up to date firmware version is 1.1.1 for the EOS 90D.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Check pages 539 & 540 in the camera manual. It gives an option for 3x3 grid lines. Also what do you mean rotate the picture in the viewfinder? What you see in the viewfinder is what you get. At no time does the viewfinder display turn. Unless your talking about the rear LCD rotating images during image playback. Most of Canon's higher end DSLRs use and LCD overlay in the viewfinder. They don't use a focus screen enabling the use of grid lines or turning on or off the AF Point display in the viewfinder. EOS 90D Manual 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Thank you both for your insight. But unfortunately I don’t have that option. I just posted a picture of that on my camera I only have the choice to show or hide. 

and for rotate yes, sorry, I meant for the LCD. When the autorotate is off, weirdly that’s the only way to say the portraits fully on the lcd, in my mind u thought it would have been the opposite. 🤪

What mode is the mode dial in. Usually you get more advanced options in the creative zone ie (M, Av, Tv & P) modes. Also check which firmware is on the camera. Usually Canon's online manuals have the most up to date firmware. If your using an older firmware revision some settings may not be there. The most up to date firmware version is 1.1.1 for the EOS 90D.

-Demetrius

Thank you for your reply. 
So I’m in the M mode, fully manual I believe.
And as for the firmware is says ver.1.1.1 but when I click on it, it says “memory card containing firmware is required to update” (I added the shots) And when I go on canon for update they say version 111 so am I up to date or do I need an update? Sorry, I am so confused… 

IMG_4740.jpeg

IMG_4739.jpeg

You don't need to update the firmware its already up to date. When you do turn on the grid is it on the LCD screen or is it in the viewfinder. Canon's high end cameras offer the grid in the viewfinder as well the rear LCD screen. Those cameras don't use a regular focus screen. They use an LCD overlay in the viewfinder to allow the grid to be turned on and off. Along with the AF point display to be turned on and off. You may need to be live view to change the grid layout. On my 5D Mark IV it won't give you the grid choices. It will give you choices to enable and disable the gird when NOT in live view. The camera has to be in live view for those choices to appear.

-Demetrius

So on my LCD I have no problem. Very happy with my thirds lines. 
it’s the viewfinder. I just drew what I’m seeing through the viewfinder - not completely accurate with the proportions but basically there is no thirds grid. Just what I see 

And another frustrating point is the focus, I used to be able on my 70D to choose which squares I wanted in focus as I am taking the picture and my eye I’m the viewfinder. Here I played with all the manual focus settings. And tell me if I’m wrong but how is it manual if I have to decide before the shot, and set it on the LCD which area Zone? That’s not manual in my opinion. I’m forced to choose before taking the picture. Basically i can’t change the focus zone while I’m taking the picture, if I’m taking portraits in portrait mode then change it to landscape as I’m just moving, it completely stops me in the live moment to have to reset the focus zone. Unless again, I’m missing something. 😞 and maybe I should do a separate post about that second issue. 

IMG_4743.jpeg

IMG_4744.jpeg

Announcements