WimVanCraen
Contributor

I have a 750D where I:

• Have exposure time on 10"
  • f8.0
  • ISO 100
  • shoot RAW
  • set manual focus
  • don't want to see the picture afterwards (is turned off)
  • set noise compensations OFF
  • set it to continuous shooting
  • disable lens corrections
  • use a Sandisk Extreme PRO SD card - 32 GB - 95 MB/s transfer - SD HC I - class 10

(I think those are the important ones, let me know if you need more)

So, I want to take pictures continuously with a longer exposure time: 10" exposure - done - take another image with 10" - ...

But what I experience is that between ending picture a and starting taking picture b, there is a delay of 1-2s. And I don't want it. It should immidiatly start taking the next picture.

I've tried many things already. Directly on the Canon, use a remote controle, use apps (Andriod & PC), put it in capturing JPEG, reformat the SD card, ... Nothing is fixing the issue.

FW is up to date.

Anyone who has a clue how I could fix this?

If you have questions or suggestions, please put them here in the topic.

-----------------

For your information: I need this for making star trail photos: Link to google images 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"Yes, the LED is lit the whole time."

There is nothing wrong with your camera.  Every DSLR camera body does what you are experiencing.  You need to revise your expectations downward.  That is my advice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@WimVanCraen wrote:

"There is nothing wrong with your camera. Every DSLR camera body does what you are experiencing. You need to revise your expectations downward. That is my advice."

I've seen Nikon cameras where this wasn't an issue. There was no delay there... Smiley Indifferent

Here is a recent thread with links that show you how a mirror works, and why your Nikon claim is demonstrably false.  There is a link in the first post to video that shows how a mirror and the shutter work together.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/You-wanna-see-mirror-slap/td-p/289409 

This is how a DSLR works, and how it differs from a mirrorless camera.  If you watched the video, then you saw how the mirror would open, then shutter would expose the image sensor, and finally the mirror would drop back down.  When do you think the image data gets sampled?

The image data in DSLR gets sampled AFTER the mirror drops back in place.  

The data has been captured by the camera, and the camera can read the data line by line, row by row, or whatever.  The point is that the image sensor is no longer exposed to light when it is being read, which means the data is STATIC, and not changing.

A mirrorless camera has no mirror, to block off the light.from reaching the shutter and the image sensor.  Mirrorless cameras must read the image data VERY quickly when in continuous shooting mode, while the shutter is closed.  The image data is not static, and is constantly changing.  This can be a problem when subjects are moving within the frame.

Sampling dynamic image data can result in "rollling shutter" effects on moving subjects   This effect is readily apparent with video shot from a moving vehicle.  All of the light poles will look bent.

Back to the mirror in a DSLR.  What this means is that DSLRs, all DSLRs will always have a slight pause between frames.  This is a fact, without exception.  Why the pause is apparently longer with slower shutter speeds is a good question.  But, it is a normal behavior of all DSLRs.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I tried an experiment with my Canon 1D X. It has a 12 frame per second potential frame rate. If I set the time to 10 seconds there was a definite pause between shots. Yet, at 1/1000 of a second it fires like a machine gun.

Why would you shoot teo 10 second light painting shots rather than one 20 second shot?

When I’ve shot star trails I expose for twenty seconds, pause 1 second then shoot again, repeating for twenty shots and blend using a star stacking program. I use a remote controller.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Why would you shoot teo 10 second light painting shots rather than one 20 second shot?

When I’ve shot star trails I expose for twenty seconds, pause 1 second then shoot again, repeating for twenty shots and blend using a star stacking program. I use a remote controller."

For your information: I use the 10" to prevent the light pollution here in Belgium 🙂 If you go higher, more and more light coming from the light pollution is captered

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“I tried an experiment with my Canon 1D X. It has a 12 per second potential frame rate. If I set the time to 10 seconds there was a definite pause between shots. Yet, at 1/1000 of a second it fires like a machine gun.“

If you were shooting RAW, then maybe it is building the JPEG preview image during that pause.

@Waddizzle wrote:
“I tried an experiment with my Canon 1D X. It has a 12 per second potential frame rate. If I set the time to 10 seconds there was a definite pause between shots. Yet, at 1/1000 of a second it fires like a machine gun.“

If you were shooting RAW, then maybe it is building the JPEG preview image during that pause.

Possibly - since OP is shooting RAW same might be happening with his camera.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

WimVanCraen
Contributor
Feedback from the canon support desk:

"Thank you for contacting Canon.

Hereby we can inform you that how the EOS 750d works, where you describe that it is 1 to 2 sec. takes before a new recording is made is not a defect of the EOS 750D. This is because the sensor data is stored during this time. And so it is not possible to immediately start a new recording. We see this as normal for the moment. Once the sensor data (data) has been saved, a new recording can only be made.

If you have any further questions, you can contact us by replying to this message.

Kind regards,

Saraah

Canon Services & Support"

Case closed. Unfortunately
Thanks for the replies here
Announcements